Close Call

Alicia's POV

I look at Kono who was replaying the tape from yesterday. I lean against the counter, sighing as I drink from the glass of water.

"You know, from what this tape shows; the guy's truthful."

"You think?"

"Mhm."

"She wasn't supposed to die..." I sigh as Chin walks in.

"She feeling alright?" He asks Kono.

"Ask her."

I frown. "Nope."

"You know, it's gonna be alright." Chin grabs two beers from the cabinet and hands me one. "Want one, Kono?"

She shakes her head, removing the disc. "Adam's taking me out tonight."

I take a gulp from my bottle. "Which reminds me, the funeral's next week."

Chin frowns. "Mhm. You know, she's a great friend. Always looking on the positive... Can even understand techish."

"Techish, really?" I ask, finishing my bottle. "C'mon, it's not like I don't understand techish."

"So anyways, you thinking of babies?" I ask Kono.

"I dunno, really. I mean, with being on a well-known task force? It's risky."

I let out a small laugh. "You think being a cop is bad? Think of being an ex-seal. Still, I survived with kids."

She rolls her eyes, a smile on her lips. "It's only because you trained those two to survive."

Chin shakes his head as he puts his phone back in his pocket. "Got to go, guys. Erin."

"Erin?" I ask, confused as soon as Chin was out of earshot.

Kono gives me a look that say keep-quiet. "Date."

****

I drive to the palace after dropping Jack and Kath at school. I park my car in the parking lot and get my bag. I walk inside my temporary office, sitting down on the chair behind the desk. I pull out some files from the folder on my desk. I read the files as I check the time every now and then. The time was ten after eight when I hear the clacking of shoes. Kono walks inside my office.

"Didn't expect you to be this early," She says.

"Didn't expect you to be this late," I mimicked her.

"Thought you'd be here in, what, a half to nine."

I smile weakly. "I wouldn't be that late."

"You alright, Alicia?" She asks me, concerned.

"Yeah," I lie. "Just a bit tired."

"A bit? Look at you, Alicia. You need to go home."

"I told you, I'm fine." I say, giving her the files.

"Alright," She sighs in defeat. "Fine, have it your way."

Steve walks in the office, sporting a tight blue shirt that shows his six-pack. "Kono, I need you and Chin  at Manawa Street. Chin'll explain."

"Okay, boss."

She leaves me with Steve. "So, any luck?"