Truths over Coffee

Alicia's POV

I see Chin laying on the hospital bed, his skin back to normal. He looks up at us and grins.

"Don't grin, you nearly died!" I state, relieved.

"I thought you were dead." Kono chokes out as she hugs her cousin.

"I'm fine, just a bullet." He reassures her.

"You were lucky the shot wasn't in your lungs, Chinny." I say, using my nickname for him.

"I know, Ali-Ali."

"So," I lean against the wall. "Feeling better?"

"Yeah. Pulse back to normal, the shot bandaged up." He winces as he sits upright.

I check the time, ten minutes until Kath and Jack's dismissal from school.

"I've got to go, guys. Need to pick up the twins. Get better, Chinny." I head for the door.

"Thanks, Ali-Ali."

****

I park my car in front of Yukukui High. I remember when I was going here. I sigh, relieving my memories as the MVP forward of the soccer team. I hear the school bell ring, meaning the end of Kath's soccer practice and Jack's football practice. I see Kath and Jack running towards the car, still in their dirty uniforms. They get in the backseat, their faces sweaty.

"You two stink like hell!" I state, pinching my nose.

Both of them smirk in unison, taking off their shoes.

Jack drinks from his bottle of water. "Well, ma. You have to deal with it."

I fake a gag as we three chuckle.

"So, Kath," I start up my car, "you did it? The bicycle kick?"

She sighs a bit. "Nearly. It was a few inches above me and I could've scored. I have to practice later. If I keep on trying to do it - not even practiced - I have to say goodbye to MVP."

"You'll get it soon. I didn't get to do it until I was, what, sixteen or something?" I say.

"Probably..."

****

"Will you tell me now?" Steve asks as I take a sip from my coffee.

I squirm a bit, biting my lip. "Alright," I whisper. "Their names are Kath and Jack. They're twins, born on April twenty-third, 2002."

"So their birthday is next week..." He mutters.

"Kath is the MVP forward of the soccer team and Jack is the star-quarter back of the football team. They go to Yukukui Highschool."

"Likes? Dislikes?"

"Both are simple, fans of music, sports and Star Wars. Kath is more of a laid-back person, also likes books. Jack is the opposite likes going out and having fun, also likes photography. They dislike cliche and 'girly' thing - their words, not mine."

"Kath doesn't like... dresses and all that?"

"Depends on the occasion. She's simple. She's on the male soccer team, for goodness sake."

"So she's that tough?"

"Forced her way during their tryouts."

"So, what kind of work do they want to do?"

"Both are thinking about going to the Navy for college."

"Wow. They remind me of us - you used to be the MVP forward on the male soccer team and isn't like any other girl, I used to be the star-quarterback and always goes out."

"Power of genes."

"So, what else do I have to know about them?"

"Nothing more, nothing less. When you meet them, you'll know them better."

I stand up and Steve follows me out. He grips my forearm and spins me around, pulling me against his chest

"What else do you want?" I retort.

"When will I get to meet them?"

I take a breathe. "They don't need anymore weight on their shoulders right now."

"They are my kids. Now tell me."

"By blood, not legally."

He grips both of my wrists. "You took them away from me. It's not all my fault!"

I pull my wrists away from him. "You didn't return, now I have to go."

Sorry for the shortness! I'm having writers block rn! I probably won't have an update until next next week! So sorry! I may put this on hiatus, but I will be doing drafts.

Like and Comment!