Chapter 10 - The lost Princess

Zelda ran in front of the warrior as she couldn't handle her level of excitement. They were literally meters away from reaching the spring.

As they made it, Zelda couldn't believe her eyes. The spring took her breath away. It was just like she had been told, a stone platform in the middle, surrounded by a pool of water, two trees shading the water and the statue of Hylia standing tall in the back.

The man walked beside it. "Pretty neat, eh?" He asked.

"Amazing." Zelda responded.

"Well then," the blue eyed Sheikah started. "try, try to remember."

Zelda had been carrying a white dress with her all of this time, Impa had told her she should put it on when she arrives to the spring. She changed onto it. It really reminded her of the dress of something a goddess would wear. It was simple and white. She sighed and knelt down to the cold platform. She was supposed to remember something very, very important now, if she just tried hard enough.

She focused on nothing but thinking about what she had been told to try and remember. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't remember or feel anything. She sighed in annoyance. Needless to say, she was frustrated. She made her way all the way up here for nothing?

"Don't worry, Zelda." The Sheikah man walked to her.

"Curse you." She spat. "I didn't come here to be disapointted."

"It's not like you carry blame in this." He tried to comfort her.

A retort escaped through her lips as she rolled her eyes and slowly stood up.

"I think.. I may can help you to remember the thing we've wanted you to."

Zelda looked at him as she crossed her arms. "Spill it, boy."

He cleared his throat. "Let me try to explain.." He inhaled and exhaled as he saw Zelda's unpatient eyes. "Months ago, there was a Princess and a knight at her side. That knight was the blonde haired fool, Link, I've been telling you about." He kept a short pause between his lecture and sighed. "One day however, the Princess escaped from the castle to embark on a journey by herself after getting frustrated over that knight who was commanded to follow her around anywhere she went. She was reported missing, and her father, the King, went to great lenghts to find his daughter. Tens if not hundres of soldiers were sent out to find her. After some time of hopeless searching the castle got a rumour, that on her way to one of the villages in the wilderness, the Princess's fate took an unfortunate turn and she got struck by lighting. The King sent the Princess's own knight to go find her... But, nobody heard of the two anymore after that. Many were to believe that the Princess died and the knight escaped the land after failing to protect her."

Zelda listened carefully and noticed how he clenched his fists seemingly in anger.

"No. The Princess lives. You're figuring it all out now, aren't you?" He then asked with calmer tune and opened his closed fists. "You are the lost Princess of the kingdom. Hyrule's own, dear Zelda."

Zelda's eyes widened the second she heard those words pass through his lips. She then looked at her trembling hands in disbelief but remained quiet.

"That knight lives as well, he did not leave this land of ours, he just assumed a temporary form." He looked emotionless but was fast to change his tone to a more sadder one. "Considering that I could not fulfill my duty, I have no right to tell this to you, Zelda, but..." He quickly removed the scarf covering up his face and opened his hair. "I am, Link."

Zelda placed her hands on her heart. She looked at... Link whose eyes cascaded with shame. She stayed silent for a while but then she started to smile. "Link.." Her voice warmed his heart. "I always thought... That you reminiscented me of someone.. And I never forgot your essence."

...

She sat on the edge of the platform and the valance of her white dress touched the cold water. She heard footsteps behind her and as she looked over her shoulder she saw Link. "Ah, well you certainly got here fast. I should've expected as much."  She turned her head away from him and stared at the goddess statue.

"What's the matter?" He asked as he catched his breath, seemingly he had ran up all the way to here.

She giggled. "It's nothing special. I just wanted to invite you over to here with me. It's a beautiful night." Her brown hair fluttered in the cool night breeze.

Link walked next to her and sat down. "Sure is."

"I was thinking... This reminds me of the time we first met. You were just a servant of the castle. Who would've thought that you'd actually become one of the most respected knights in the whole castle just by achieving my friendship." She pinched his cheeck and smiled. "But... If it's really true that my time on the surface now is getting short.. What can I really do? I haven't achieved anything I wanted from this life.."

Link was silent. He wasn't the best in terms of talking. But he tried to be as empathetic as possible. And he really did feel Zelda's sorrow. It was heartbreaking to hear these words from the mouth of the girl he loved and adored so much.

"Maybe after I join mother and the goddesses I won't remember my essence as Zelda at all. And if I don't, I want you to know this... Even though it was only for a short time, I feel like I've known you forever. I'll never forget the days we spent togehter in Hyrule." She smiled and grabbed Link's hand. "And I believe in my heart that a day will come when I shall meet you again.. Until that day comes I wan't you to have this.." She guided his hand in front of them and placed her hands on it. A glowing light surrounded and warmed their hands up. "It has been passed on to each Princess of Hyrule, but now I will entrust it to you, please accept the blessings of the goddess Hylia... No matter how difficult the battle might get, it'll will always give you the strengt you need and as you have good use of it I will watch over you. I hope you know... That I will always protect you."