Chapter 16 - Where is her lover?

Her body trembled as she wandered in the rain. It had been nearly a month now. Incredible as it sounds, she had been lost deep in the forests of Hyrule for all of this time. She had lost everything, her horse, the guards chasing her, her hope. Such was her curse. Being a Princess who fails at everything, has proven it once again. She sat under a tree aside from the rain, waiting, hoping it would stop sometime soon. It was the middle of night, she needed to set up a campfire, but there was no chance of her doing so since the sky poured rain.

After a long and a cold night the sun was shining already as it rose high up to the sky. A new day was born and Zelda was almost able to curve a little smile to her face as she celebrated the wonderful weather and maybe she even had higher hopes on finding Link again. She was not going back home before she has find him, that was for sure. She had made this thing so dramatic and it was probably stupid of her to leave the castle just like that, but she's not giving up.

As she walked along the small paths of the forest she wondered if some of her still missing memories would come back to her mind. She hadn't have as much trouble in forgetting things as she had before her accident in the Necluda beach. She was glad about that. But then again, this was just an omen that predicts that her time on this earth getting shorter, with every single day that passes by.

She came across the ruins of a some sort of small building. As she explored a bit further in a blink of an eye, a memory was slowly coming back to her, just as she had hoped.

Zelda balanced walking on top of the ruins of the walls. "It's always such a fun thing to discover this types of ruins of some ancient buildings!"

"I doubt this is very 'ancient' though, Princess." Link responded sitting opposite to her, checking if the stones had any moss on them or any sort of sign of its age.

"You get my point. I love exploring ruins." She hopped down from the broken wall back to the ground.

"Of course I do, and I agree with you." Link curved a smile to his face.

"Good." She smirked. "But hey, listen, I heard about this interesting shrine of some sort when I heard father speaking about it with the chancellor. It is a medical facility of some sort with the power to heal! That is so exciting!" She then explained excited.

Link looked at her first surprised but then changed his expression to a more thoughtful one. "And where is that particular shrine located at?" He then asked.

"I have no idea. But it is tens of thousands of years old. It would make sense if nobody really could recall the location of it, don't you think?" Zelda said and shrugged.

"Indeed."

"But, we are going to find it! And we'll visit it, maybe not today, but some day!" She yelled laughing. "Right?"

"Of course." Link nodded as he smiled.

Zelda startled as she looked around her. "That was a little weird.." She shook her head and walked through the ruins along the path that continued to proceed north. But now as she thought about that previously happened memory, she could not get the shrine they were speaking of out of her mind. Could Link have gone to there? She doubts it though, he probably had no idea where it really was and he was probably just as lost as Zelda is.
She sighed. It looks like it will start raining like there's no tomorrow soon again. The sky turned almost black - it started to thunder.

Zelda suddenly felt how all of her powers were draining off her. She was exhausted. Something was wrong, again. As the thunder got more and more powerful and the rain poured onto her face Zelda could not simply keep on going. She fell to the wet and muddy ground. She tried to get up, but she couldn't, she tried to crawl, but she couldn't. All she was able to do was to cry. This was it, her demise. She would have to die like this, out in the wilderness, in the cold rain, without... Link.

She dug the crumbled letter from her pocket and gazed upon it for the last time. Link's name, and sweet words on the paper that was getting wet by not only the rain, but Zelda's tears that were like the endless flow of a river. They reminded her, when he used to bring them tea to drink together, his smile... "I wish I could be with him... Until my last day.. And I would've gave all of my love to him.. I dreamt a new life with him... Someplace to be at peace.." She cried ever harder as she crushed the letter and threw it away. "But things changed so suddenly. I lost my dreams in this... Disaster." Her eyes were red and her throat was sore. "I'm crying, missing my lover!" She shouted with all of the voice she had left. "I'm crawling alone... Where is my lover..?" She whispered. Now she fell back first to the wet ground. And there she lies, uncounscious.

Some minutes passed until someone finally stepped from behind the big tree which's leaves were on top of Zelda. He walked over to her. He removed the scarf from around his face and picked Zelda up. He left as soon as he had arrived, carrying the uncounscious Princess in his arms.