Chapter 11 - Like a wildfire

Link was setting up a campfire as Zelda was making friends with the two lizards she found on a rock nearby.

"Zelda I have no idea how to do this." She heard him complain behind her back.

"For crying out loud Link. I told you a million times already - just set the wood on fire." She explained frustrated for the seventh time in a row.

Then all was quiet for a while, Zelda assumed he had succeeded and so she kept on watching the two hearty lizards as they crawled around the stone.

"Zelda I'm on fire."

"Good for you. So I assume you succeeded then?"

"No Zelda. I'm literally on fire."

"Wha-" she turned around only to see Link's tunic on fire. "Ack!" She screamed and ran to him, grabbed him by his hand and then pushed him to the Necluda sea that surrounded them. As Link's head popped to the surface he spat out all of the salty water that had got into his mouth. "Care to explain why did you set yourself on fire mister?!" She raged as Link crawled out of the ocean.

Link breathed heavily as his body trembled from the coldness when he got to the campfire. "I-I don't k-know." He sneezed an impressive seven times in a row as he tried to warm himself in the campfire - that Zelda lit.

Zelda sighed in annoyance but quickly started to laugh. She walked over to their horses and got a warm blanket from the pouch of her horse and brought it to Link. "Here. Warm yourself up." She wrapped it around Link and then sat to the rock opposite of him. She gazed at the night sky. Then she looked at Link again. "So.. We're going to the castle now?"

"I suppose so." Link sniffed. "We've been gone for so long. Your father will sue me."

"He's the King. He doesn't even need to sue you." Zelda pointed out.

"Facts." Link responded smirking. "He's a nice man, regardless he doesn't -or atleast didn't like me when I used to hang out with you in the castle. I guess he couldn't see the courage in my eyes. Which I admittedly didn't have."

"Well then, what was the reason you gathered up all that courage..?" Zelda asked as curiosity lit up in her eyes like a wildfire.

After a painfully akward silcence Link opened his mouth. "You." Then he was silent again for a short moment until he continued "You always told me that being courageous doesn't mean that you aren't afraid. Being courageous means that you have the inner strenght to embrace being afraid and still move forward... And that's the best advice anyone has ever told me." He explained thoughtfully.

"I see." Zelda exhaled. "Was that after or before of our visit to the spring of the hero?" She then asked watching the campfire dance around wildly in the evening breeze.

He looked at her surprised, seemingly he didn't expect Zelda to remember their visit on that spring from that long ago. "A-after. Since it didn't work, I tried and tried. But after so long of not succeeding you told me those words and they helped me more than any visit of to some springs."

Zelda was quiet. "Why do we sound so dramatic? Like this was some sort of book, eh?" She then expressed herself smiling.

Link curved a little smile onto his face as well. "I don't know. It's good to have some quiet moment alongside all of those happy ones as well. I believe." He responded holding the blanket around him tightly.

"Yet, do we really have those happy moments more than the rather depressing ones. I can only recall a couple." Zelda exlaimed saddened.

Link looked at her surprised as a bit of a shocked color passed through his blue eyes. He remained quiet. He wasn't a good speaker.

"It seems we both carry a heavy fate on our shoulders.. Am I not correct?"

"That's.. True."

"You... Being the chosen knight, protecting the Princess at all costs, still finding your true potential courage. You are worthy of the blessings of the goddess as well as the sword she crafted so long ago... And yet.." She sighed. "Never mind. Forget I said anything."

Link looked at Zelda for a short moment and then turned to look at the sharp sword next to him.

"And that... Brings us to me. Zelda." She crossed her trembling fingers together as the tried to get the right words out of her mouth. "I'm ill, aren't I? I'll be.. Gone soon, won't I?" She then asked furious almost crying. "All I ever wanted has been proved to be deaf to my devotion! I've tried.. And I failed.. Failed utterly and absolutely.." Then she breathed heavily trying to calm herself down.

Link didn't say anything. He had to swallow of the words he didn't want her to hear. "N-no, Zelda I-"

"So I really am just a failure..!" Tears filled her eyes and she fell to her knees onto the cold ground.

Link threw the blanket away and rushed to her knelting down in front of her. "Zelda, my dear Princess, everything will be just fine."

"It will not! Just end my suffering already..!" Her throat was filled with her own tears as she collapsed into his open arms, crying, praying for help - praying for just to get out of this cursed land already. It would've been the best if she had just died during that storm.

The Princess deserves so much better doesn't she? And yet there was nothing more he could do to help her. But he must keep trying, and he'll succeed for the sake of his Princess.

...

But there's something more he needs to let her know. Tomorrow, tomorrow he'll tell her about what has been going through his mind all this time.

~
Sorry for the lack of updates again, there's been alot of going on in the past week.
Going to stick with an upload schedule now. Hopefully updating this more frequently than just once per week.
I know this is a bit short and it doesn't have really anything interesting on it but I had to get something published.
Thank you for being patient with me, enjoy!