Our Happy Ending (KidXMaka)

"You must marry him," Maka's father, Spirit, said sternly looking at his only daughter's shocked face. He covers his mouth coughing looking into his daughter's baffled expression.

"I don't love him," Maka countered, "I refuse! I don't even know the boy! I love Ki-"

"ENOUGH," Spirit yelled angrily through coughs making her words fade into nothing. Maka blinked back tears staring at her father's face. "I know, honey, I know," he said solemnly as he stared down at the small cottage's floor, "but in order to sustain our lives, you must marry the wealthy boy and not that peasant boy.... I've acquired too much debt that I can't repay off without the finical aid of that boy's family....." Maka stayed staring at the floor as the tears slowly slipped down her cheeks. She wiped her eyes with her light pink handkerchief before heading out the front door.

"Where are you going," Spirit questioned almost instantly still coughing.

"Saying my final goodbyes," Maka said painfully as she stood in the doorway.

"Hurry back, the boy will be here at about seven or so," Spirit said sighing covering his mouth before having yet another coughing fit.

"Alright, Papa," she said brokenheartedly as she shut the front door and walked down the small village's pathway to her love's home.

"Maka," the black haired boy with the three odd white stripes in his hair said happily pulling Maka into a hug as soon as she was close enough. Once she was inside his arms, Maka sobbed uncontrollably.
****************************************************************************

"Marry the Evans boy," Kid said rubbing the top of Maka's hand soothingly, "if it saves your family, do what you must."

"I don't love him," she cried with tears in her eyes, hurt that Kid had been able to say that so easily.

Kid smiled before kissing her forehead, "Maka, I love you and you know that. I am nothing more than peasant and you have a chance to be wealthy again. That Evans's boy can buy you all the fine dresses and jewelry that I can not give you."

"I don't care," Maka yells fisting his shirt in her hands, "if being with the man I love means I must be poor, than I will be! I refuse to be wealthy and marry a man I do not!"

Kid chuckled softly, "Maka, don't be difficult.... Marry the Evans boy and forget about me. I'm leaving this village soon anyway."

"Take me with you then," Maka pleaded, "we can run away together, start over somewhere new!"

Kid put his hand on Maka's cheek, "so you'd leave your father behind? Even though, you're all he has left? With your mother's death and then you abandoning him in a sick state, what would become of him?"

Maka's eyes welled up with tears, "I don't know..... But I don't want to lose you....."

Kid smiled gently, "do what's best for your father, go home and be with him."

Maka sniffled standing up and walking to the door, "what will become of you?"

Kid gave her a reassuring smile, "I'll be fine no matter what. Please take care your father, you're all he has left." With that said Maka returned to her own small cottage.
****************************************************************************

The white haired boy, dressed substantially more formal than any other man she had seen, bowed before Maka and gently kissed the top of her hand, "pleasure to finally meet you, Miss Albarn."

Maka forced a smile, "and nice to meet you...." Maka looked down at the floor before pulling her hand to her side sheepishly, "it's to my understanding, that I am to become your wife?"

The white haired boy nodded, "this is true. That is, if you do not oppose."

Maka saw Kid's face in her mind before forcing back tears and swallowing the lump in her throat, "of course not..... I'm honored...."

Soul took her hand and kneeled before her, "Miss Albarn, will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Maka looked at him for a few moments before mustering out a solemn, "yes."

Maka's father nodded in approval before scumming to another coughing fit. "Your father isn't well, is he," the Evans boy questions Maka as she looks towards her father.

"No," she says not taking her eyes off her father, "no, he's not...."

"We should plan for the wedding, my lady," the young man says gesturing to the front door.

"Yes," she says neutrally walking out the door to the solid white carriage waiting for them outside.
****************************************************************************

In the days that followed with Maka living with her newly engaged fiancé, she didn't smile much more. Her father gained the finances he needed to repay his debts and he even started to receive treatments for his illness. As time went on, Maka and Soul's wedding day approached.

Maka looked at herself in a mirror. Her hair pinned back in a gorgeous updo to coordinate with her veil and a simple yet beautiful white wedding dress. She blinked back tears thinking, this is how I would have looked if I would have married Kid.. She refused to let Soul buy her any expensive items. She used her mother's old wedding dress, like her mother had wanted.

'Beautiful,' Maka remembered her mother saying when she had showed her the old dress. Maka looked down at the large diamond ring on her finger sorrowfully, "I could have married Kid without a ring...."

A small knock on the door makes Maka turn her head to the door, "Mrs. Evans, are you almost done?"

"Yes," she calls dabbing the corner of her eyes with a napkin, so she does not smudge her carefully done makeup.

"Please go to reception area once you are finished, madam," the maid says calmly before walking away.

Maka looked at herself in the mirror one last time before standing up. She carefully walked in front of the a small red footstool. She carefully took off her white heels before stepping on the footstool.

Standing with her back to the door, she quickly slipped the quick made noose over her neck and kicked the footstool out from under her feet.
****************************************************************************

"A letter for a man by the name of Kid," the properly dressed young mailman said holding a letter to the black and white haired boy as he answered the door.

Kid took the letter, "thank you, sir." The mailman left and Kid walked back into his home, opening the letter. After turning the envelope he saw the Evans crest as the letter's seal. He smiled thinking it was an invitation to the wedding.

He opened the letter and grinned as he unfolded it, recognizing the handwriting, right away.

'Dear Kid, my one true love,

I regret to inform you, this will be last you ever hear from me. I'm writing this to inform you of my death. It was not murder or of sickness. I took my own life. I refuse to be wedded to man I don't love, I'd rather die. Therefore, I took my own life. If you are reading this, it means I am in fact deceased. I love you Kid, I hope you don't habor ill feelings to me now. But as my last request, please take care of my father.

Love Always, Maka Albarn'