二十一

the truth exposes some people so deeply, their last defense is to
front a carefree insanity.
---------

jin gasped in shock as yoongi's shoulders started to shake again

"took you long enough, dear inspector. you're terrible at this. maybe you should consider switching careers." he chortled, placing his hands to his mouth in an attempt to muffle his laughter.

angrily, jimin slammed his fist on the table. jin flinched as yoongi reverted back to his default face in an instant. "tell me, who the hell is he?"

"that is your job to find out. because what would i get out of this, other than a lighter sentence? nothing." yoongi carelessly replied, sticking out his tongue.

"he has the face of an angel and the mind of a devil." twisting his lips into an evil smile, yoongi's eyes turned dark. jin, on the other hand, was quivering in fear.

"i need air." jimin sighed, close to giving up. he stomped out of the room and locked the door behind him. leaning against the door, the rose haired man pinched his nose bridge. trying to cool down.

he never met a criminal like yoongi or felt the burning desire to throw the killer off a cliff. he was no ordinary serial killer.

"jimin?"

"ah namjoon. what is it?" he breathed out. the assistant doctor took out a shelve of papers  from his worn out dark blue bag and held it out to him. "these," he spoke with conviction in his eyes, "are some people who hate jin's guts. i listed them out."

"for a colleague, you care a great deal for him." an impressed jimin commented, plucking the stack out of his hands. embarrassed, namjoon let his eyes wander around the hallway. after all, his affection for jin was quite obvious.

among them was a wad of small letters which immediately caught jimin's eye. puzzled, he carefully took them out and asked.

"what's this?"

"hoseok's activity for taehyung. they were supposed to create a sentence with the letters that they chose by the end of this year," namjoon said, picking up one of the letters from his hand.

"taehyung left yesterday so i don't think there's a need to complete it."

"funny how hoseok only selected a few letters from the alphabet instead of giving all of the letters for his favourite patient to choose from." he placed back the letter into his good friend's hands as jimin scanned them.

the sharp inspector studied the letters, trying to form a sentence with them. jimin abruptly remembered what the criminal said to him. he took in account of yoongi's words. the medicine, lab coats, needles.

"he smiles but never cries."

"he deceives the angels and dances with the devils."

in a flash, jimin got down to his knees and laid out every letter in front of him. there was a message hidden, he just had to figure it out.

G A D R T E Y D A O T N R A E U T R E

thinking hard, he shifted the letters around. his perplexed friend knelt beside him, worried about his sudden action but decided to help him anyway. after a few minutes, they managed to solve the puzzle.

G E T R E A D Y T O R U N D E A R T A E

"holy shit." namjoon muttered as he stared at the sentence. in no time, jimin whipped out his cellphone and dialled for backup.

"hello? jaebum? there's a 5150 out there with the sole survivor of his own massacre. i need you to track him down now!"

"what's his name, sir?"

"jung hoseok. i repeat, his name is jung hoseok."