Chapter Two: Promises

“Yatesy? Oi what’s the matter?”

My gaze shifted from the window in the cafeteria at the sound of someone’s voice dragging me out of a daydream. As if with a pop the sound of unheard muffled conversations, people eating all echoed around me and the feeling of the space around me condensed down as I became aware of my surroundings.

Snapping out of it completely, I could hear the clinking of beads as Max’s hand was waving in front of my face. Max. The star of our school. Everyone wanted to know him. Everyone wanted to be him. Everyone wanted to be his friend. And yet he stuck to me and Hunter whenever he had time. The rumours of his ‘free love’ has never diminished his reputation. In fact it just lures the women in…including at least two of the teachers and of course the school nurse. I’m just waiting for Casanova over here gets tired of it all.

But who wouldn't be lured in?

Compared to Hunter who was good looking in the delicate-cute kind of way. Max was the handsome almost rugged (give him a few years) kind of good looking that made him always look like a model no matter what he wore or what pose he struck. It always almost look like he was in a photo-shoot.

His perfectly muscled, slightly tanned body from swimming made even me drool after him when he wasn't looking. His dark choclate brown eyes always held a certain impish charm to them that mesmerized his prey whenever they look at them. That accompanied by his smile that he’d flash made him irresistible. His once brown now bleach blonde short hair was styled in the slightly tousled partly messy look which looked like it took him hours to do; but really it was just bed hair. He also still had an Italian accent that he was never able to get rid of, even though he’s moved from Italy when he was four. It probably didn't help that his mother and grandmother who lived with him refused to speak a lick of English, even in front of his friends. But I think that accent just adds to the charm.

I look at him, putting on the best smile I can manage, “Nothing’s wrong.”

“Don’t bullshit me, I know there’s something wrong. You have this bad habit of auto-piloting whenever something really bugs you.”

I look away, “Do not.”

“Do so.”

“Do not!”

“Then explain to me how and when you got here.”

I frown, looking back over to him. I realised that I don’t remember getting out of class or sitting down in the cafeteria all that well.

When I had no immediate answer, a smug look appears on his mug, “See.”

I let out a breath, giving up, looking back out the window “Whatever.”

But that smug look doesn’t last long it fell, a slight look of concern crossed his eyes instead, “Is it bad?”

I shook my head, a small grin appear on my face, “Nah. Don’t worry about it.” No way in hell am I gonna explain any of my frustrations. They include him and Hunter. I was still a little upset about being unintentionally (or rather unknowingly) rejected and I promised to keep a number of things secret from him for Hunter. Also, he didn’t know that I was gay myself. It wasn’t like I was ashamed of it but I wasn’t going to broadcast it either. Hunter obviously didn’t figure it out yesterday or maybe he did…it was so hard to tell what he’s thinking. Max only found out about Hunter because of his suicide attempt a few years ago. But they have never discussed it. Worse, I think they pretend that it never happened.

Then there was Mum…were the debtors after her?

I don’t really know if he was truly satisfied with my response but he let it go anyway, “Alright then. Say,” he leans in over the table between us, his voice a little low, “there’s something I want to talk about.”