Chapter Five: Lies and Goodbyes

They were meshed together like two beasts unable to suppress their desire to swallow and consume each other whole. While Hunter had shown me pure affection it was never this raw carnal desire. My breath hitch as I struggle to take a step forward. Thunder rolled somewhere rather close as my world threatened to rip itself apart.  The first drops of rain hit me like ice daggers that I partially hoped would slice through me and tear me to shreds as my hear constricted in my rib-cage.

I managed to take a step only to have a word shudder from my breath, “Why?”

They both seemed to have heard me through the haze of passion that they were high on and split apart. Hunter looking guilty while Max looked surprised. I take another step forward, my hand shakily reaching forward as I try to keep some semblance of keeping myself in reality. To keep myself above the tide of emotion that threatened to break. As I did the heavy down pour drenched us all almost immediately.

Grabbing Hunter’s arm to stop him from stepping towards me. That was when they ran. Leaving me alone in the rain.

“Just…why?” I ask the empty rain as it floored my ears trying to drown the world.

They gave no explanation. They gave no reason. They offered no apology.

…they just…”Ran,” I finish my thoughts looking up at the sky, wondering how much of the water hitting my face was the rain or I was actually crying.

Time just echoed around me as if I slipped out of its grasp, finding the solitude within myself that I had built to keep everything out.

“…an!”

Who?

“Kieran!”

Go away!

“For fuck’s sake Kieran Theodore snap out of it!”

A bolt of lightning illuminated the darkness around me, making me jolt. I blink, the rain was still heavy and the sun had long since set. Thunder grumbled from underneath me, sending a tremor up through my core. I wasn’t in the park anymore. I had managed to wonder back home but I had only made it to the small piece of lawn that was our sad excuse of our front yard. My mother was in front of me, her leather jacket raised over her head as a makeshift umbrella. I could barely see her without any light. But I could tell with the way she raised her voice and how it shook that she was on the verge of panic.

The next thing I notice is that she’s pulling my up the stairs and into our house.

“You’re freezing! How long were you out there?” she exclaims as she shakes her jacket of water, hanging it on the hooks by the door.

I stand there like a doll. Water dripping off me was it plastered my hair to my face and my clothes clung to me body. My shoes were even spewing out rainwater from the seams as the weight of my feet buried into the soles.

She pulls my head over, I suddenly notice that we were of equal height. She looks at me in the eye, her quicksilver ones full of worry and…I don’t know what it was. But her usual troll like persona was gone.

“Look at me.”

I am looking.

“Talk. Say it out loud. Please don’t go back there.”

Go where? “I’m…not…going…anywhere,” I say slowly as if I had forgotten how to speak.

Her tears spilt as she hugs me tightly, “Please stay here. Don’t go back there. Please?”

I don’t understand what she’s saying.

But then she suddenly held me at arm’s length, “You need to take a shower, you’ll catch pneumonia like this and your asthma might act up again,” without another word she grabs my arm and pulls me up the stairs.