Chapter Seven: Rolling On

(KIERAN’S POV)

It’s been several weeks since Zachariah admitted he was my father and I have been able to stay awake a lot longer than normal without the need to reach for pain medication as quickly or sleeping at the drop of a hat simply because talking was like trying to run a triathlon. I also unfortunately slept through Christmas and New Year’s. Not like they were important anyway.

Today I was a little excited because I was going to be allowed to wonder the hospital in the wheelchair. I wasn’t allowed to set one foot off my gurney before. Even to go to the bathroom without strict supervision and help from the nurses (little embarrassing but it wasn’t like I had a choice) with all these wires and IV drips hanging off me it was annoying. But today I was free from all of that.

But today with just the IV drip they were letting me use a wheelchair and were even going to start some rehabilitation exercises with me.

Though I was quite scared about my leg to be honest. It wasn’t like I could feel much pain but just the thought that under the cast that there was a metal rod stuck to it and it was in all these little pieces just a couple of months ago. I was warned by the physician (His name is James) that was going to look over my rehabilitation that it’ll take about 18 months before I can even walk properly. Which is just fantastic (sarcasm) it means I’ll be on crutches for a while after I’m able to stand again. On top of that because I haven’t moved much in the three months I’ve been here, I’ve lost a lot of my muscle mass which will also slow down my process a bit. I’ve already had to get used to doing exercises with my arm that had the broken collarbone and that was going all well and good.

A nurse in pink scrubs came in with the wheelchair and a blonde haired doctor who I swear wears more make up than necessary sometimes.

“Good morning Kieran!” The doctor chirped happily to me, “I see you’re up and raring to go, just let me check your vitals and we’re all set,” she comes over to the heart monitor with my chart and scribbles something before turning it off and it finally being unplugged from me. After pawing at my chest and demanding that I breathe as deeply as I could with that freezing stethoscope rammed into my back I think she was done.

“Ok, you seem up for it,” Doc grins before lowering the rail on the gurney, “He’s all yours Fiona.”

The nurse grins at me, “Oh good.” The nurse looked to be in her mid-fifties and had her orange hair pulled back into a pony tail, away from her pale face and blue eyes. “Come here handsome, let’s take you for a spin. James is waiting for you downstairs.”

I feel like I’m being kidnapped.

Well after the awkward holding onto her for dear life as she pulls me onto the wheelchair, we were all set to go. “Oh and on your way back from James, could you please being him round to radiology? I have made an enquiry with Paul for a scan,” Doc calls as Fiona clicks the IV drip to the wheelchair so that it wouldn’t fly off on its own.

I perk up, scan?  Why do I need a scan? But of course no one offered any explanation to moiré. I was le child. So le child is ignorant and le child doesn’t need explanation. But all thoughts flew out as the doors were opened and I was allowed out of the blue room.

I look around at all this white surrounding me as we go through the halls and halls of sik people and different departments and stuff. It was really confusing. Like a rabbit warren. How do they keep track of where everything and everyone is?

I was able to get a glimpse of the outside by a window while waiting for the elevator to come. It was snowing. A park was spread out in front of me which was literally covered in white. Only a few spots of pine trees was only dash of colour anywhere. Even the few cars parked down on the street far below were covered in snow.