Chapter Four: Fierce Gamer

Today was Saturday and I found myself in a partial daze while manning the kiosk. It was pretty cool being on the other side of this thing for once. I had swimming merchandise on the wall behind me and the cashier in front and a computer with internet that was used to take orders or keep track of customers with a season pass or if they’ve kept up with their payments etc…I couldn’t look at mine with how far I haven’t paid mine…

I was busy versing my mother in DOTA when no one was looking and since it was early in the morning, no one really shows up until about ten. It was seven right now. I was surprised to find my mum’s online ID for DOTA up so early and have been playing through our second game where she was beating the shit outta me.

“Who’s winning?”

The voice behind me made me shoot out of my seat, hair raised on the back of my neck. Turning around, I saw that it was Ryan. He was in his late forties and had built this place the minute he got out of uni, back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth. He was freakishly in shape all the time and had sun bleached hair that was side swept from his face. He also had a bit of a 5 o’clock shadow this week as well…I hope he wasn’t aiming for a beard. ‘Cause seriously…I can’t imagine him with one. He was also about my height and always wore the hoodie and track pants when it was cold otherwise he look like a pro-surfer with board shorts and singlet. In both he always wore flip-flops. Today was a bit chilly to I was wearing my old tracksuit jumper I had from the club and a pair of sweatpants.

“She is…um sorry Coach,” my voice was a tad nervous.

He raises an eyebrow at me, “You seriously didn’t think I’d notice what you do when you’re bored?”

“Uh…did you want me to close it?”

He turns around to go into the office, “Don’t be an idiot. Why do you think I have Warcraft on it in the first place?” he adds cryptically.

I was a bit stunned but quickly went back to my game and lost terribly. After that I shut it down (with my mother bitching that I was just a sore loser) and went back to daydreaming.

What the hell was that on Monday? That brat…his tongue…I felt myself blushing as I remember what he did. I put my fingers on my lips as I felt like I was radiating like the sun in embarrassment. Hunter looked stumped but didn’t say anything or mention it again. I also noticed that he kept his distance afterwards…no he was stopping even before that…that was just the nail in the coffin. Maybe he was mad at me for kissing someone else?

I put my hands to my head and look down at the kiosk.

That was when I heard the little sound for Skype dinging on the computer…what the…?

Clicking it, I immediately saw it was mum.

What the hell…?

I click it and her face in out messy overflowing study with my computer and desk in the background. She was in a Pikachu onesie. Don’t ask.

“What the hell mum?”

“That should be my question! Why the hell did you back out just when I was getting a winning streak?”

“How did you get this address?”

She glowers at me, “It’s me you’re talking about. I know all.”

Of course.

I swear this woman was some sort of international spy instead of a single parent with three jobs. Or at least some part-time evil demon overlord of hell.

“I have this thing called a job,” I say sarcastically.

“Really? What’s it like?” She puts her hands up on either side of her face in fake fascination. It was that scary smile again…