Chapter Nineteen

The boys sprinted almost quicker than Mara, she was right behind Curly, running down the steep hill made them quicker, she avoided tripping on twigs and roots. She'd be stumbling down at times. The animal was heard, it's screeching was near like it was coming fast than Mara and the boys running. She was afraid to glance back over her shoulder, she didn't want to see if the animal was in sight or if it was gaining on them, neither didn't want to run blind for a second because she might slam herself onto a tree truck or trip over a log.

Mara knew they weren't far from the waterfalls. The forest they were running in was almost open, every trees in the area were seven to ten feet apart, it was almost hard to avoid and dodge the trees while sprinting down a hill. When Slightly tripped, rolled down a few times before crashing onto a log which stopped him from rolling. Shockingly, Curly didn't even stop to help him up and James was already a bit further from them. Mara couldn't help but to stop and help the boy to get up. The boy groaning seemingly in pain from his right arm where he slammed himself on the log.

With a quick glimpse from up the hill, she could see a dark figure coming down fast toward them. She pushed Slightly to run and she was right at his tracks as they continue running.

The animal screeching was loud and closer. Mara could see an open area ahead where the waterfalls might be meanwhile James and Curly were ahead of her and Slightly. Not taking a risk for a quick glimpse over her shoulder, she kept her eyes front, at the ground and watch where she was going.

When James and Curly were out of the woods, she could see them jumping and disappeared out of her sight. Mara knew she was going to have to jump any moment, she mustn't hesitate to jump. Out of the woods and running to the cliff, she just followed where Slightly was running to, he jumped off the cliff and with no hesitation, Mara followed. She could feel the animal inches from her back when it let out a growl. Screaming as she fell, down to the waters and landed into a large pool of water.

She could feel something hard on her feet in the water, she didn't hit harshly, luckily the water slowed her down. She swam up to the surface, gasped in as her head was out of the water, there were heavy breathing from the boys, she was panting, catching her breath before she gulped down some water.

"I'm gonna kill those ruddy Twins!" Curly yelled.

Mara glanced up, up at the cliff where they jumped off from, spotting the large black cat standing and pacing around the cliff. She and the boys swam to the ground and left the waters. All four of them sat on the ground, their feet inches from the water.

"Think Tootles is okay?" Mara wondered, the black panther was still pacing around the cliff.

"If Shadow is there, then Tootles is okay" James said, "let's hope Shadow is the only one out of his cage, because if he's not, it's more likely Tootles is Lady's snack"

Mara hoped Tootles was okay.

"We should go inform Pan that Shadow is out of his cage" James stood up, "or maybe he knows already. He'll get Tootles back to the camp if he finds the poor lad alive"

They walked back to the camp, Mara took a last gaze at the black panther up on the cliff, still it was there and it was laying on his stomach as he looked to be gazing at the children as they left.

"Why the bloody hell does Pan keep the panther and jaguar as pets?" Mara asked peevishly.

"He had kept them long before I even arrived here" Curly replied.

"Does this happen often?" She twisted her sleeve to dry it, "Animals loosen on purpose?"

"Mainly sometimes," Curly was walking front and leading the way. "Last time this happened was two weeks ago, Lady bit Twin One on the arm, Felix's mates were nurturing them at the time. I guess Twin One saw the opportunity today and decided to loose Shadow as a revenge"