Chapter Fifty-Four

It's morning. It's definitely morning. But the sun, the sun did not rise.

It was still dark as the night, night has consumed Neverland. That means everything and everyone on the island will begin to grow anytime soon. That wasn't that scared Mara, but it's the fact of what's coming in the end and what's going to happen.

It was strange, very strange to see the entire camp waking up in the night, at this dark, they'd be sleeping but it's morning. Strange and somehow terrifying too. Mara saw this coming, surely everyone did as well but she never thought it would be so soon. The Lost Boys showed no panic or any frantic emotions, but Mara believed that they were actually scared and worried.

Breakfast wasn't ready, no one was making breakfast or prepared for it. Usually Pan does that but he wasn't anywhere in sight, he hasn't shown up in the camp.

"What happens then?" Mara asked, sitting down between Slightly and James.

"Slightly will finally grow a beard and some grey hairs, I suppose" Curly murmured. "You know that"

Ignoring his sarcasm remarks, "How can we suppose to tell if we're growing? Would take months to notice, don't you think?"

"We'll know" said James, nothing else then, his worried look told Mara there is something that he doesn't want to tell her.

Mara was waiting for breakfast, someone to bring meals to the camp but Pan still hasn't shown up. When seeing other Lost Boys who had left little while ago then brought breakfast for their own, that's when Mara left to find something to eat.

It took within half hour to find some, came into the camp with a bag full of different fruits, all for herself and her tentmates. She set the bag down in front of them, the boys thanked her for it and breakfast started for them.

It was so strange to have breakfast in the night, under the night sky, under the stars and under the full moon. With an owl hooting somewhere near the camp, crickets chirping in the bushes, wonder how long they'll notice that it's truly morning and the sun would've been out by now. They'll tire out eventually. The Lost Boys were sitting almost quietly, some were whispering to one another, exchanging conversations with a friend next to them while breaking their fast and waiting for their leader to come.

"Where the hell is Pan?" Nibs abruptly stood up and sounded angry. "Shouldn't he come by now and give us some speech?"

"Shut it, Nibs!" Thomas snapped, "Show some patience and sit your arse down!"

"Take a look up at the sky, Thomas! Where's the bloody sun? You know what this means, Pan would've come before we even woke up or notice the sky! Where is he?! Unless he's dead like he's supposed to!"

Mara was confused. Pan said he'd die when... when the sun is gone? Or when everyone begin to grow?

"You don't know that, that would be too soon. We knew this day would come..." Thomas reminded him. "Quit being an idiot or go cry somewhere else, you wimp!"

Nibs gave him a glare, and stared at him briefly before turning, walked away and went into his tent instead. There was an utterly silence for a long moment. No one said anything, Mara wanted to say something but couldn't find words.

"Looks like Pan isn't coming anytime soon—" there was a boy name, Uriah who stood up, "since we all know what's coming— I mean who's coming... Captain Blackbeard could be on his way here now, who knows. I think we all know we don't stand a chance from him. We know what he's capable of. No way, there's no way in hell we have a chance, he'll slaughter us all—"

"What the hell are you saying, Uriah?" This was Felix.

"I'm saying I think we should all just leave while we still can" Uriah implied