1. THE CONTRACT

Curious and amused, Prince Salettin answered the request in person. A'nden House guards escorted him to a huge library. He stared around the room, interested in the purpose for being escorted here and not the more formal sitting room, A'nden's office, or even the Lady's audience chamber. Early in the winter, Chala took him on a tour of her home., but she neglected to show him this place. This looked more like family's library, or possibly General A'nden's personal library. He doubted guests ever saw this place. This request must be personal and the meeting private, for some reason. What could General A'nden have to say at this late date? Not much more than a tenday remained before the wedding ceremony. With all contracts signed, Chala was no longer her father's charge.

To his surprise, the Lady D'ey Sol stood beside her husband as if she too needed to say something. Everything had already been said, and he intended to make sure they both understood that. Surely they knew that Chala was no longer Irelli like her mother, or of Nevian culture like her adoptive father. Even her own Krindarwee heritage was vanishing. In nearly all respects, she was as Xantis Tey as he.

But maybe, even though her parents had six mooncycles to get used to the idea, they still refused to accept their new reality. He stole a glance at the Lady Commissioner who kept her eyes on her husband, as if uncertain how to proceed. He found that very unlike her. During his six mooncycles of living in this Sector, he found this Sector's administrator firm but fair, a woman whose decisions he admired. Right now she looked too vulnerable to rule the City with the gloved steel of her decisions.

He found the two as unusual a couple as he had ever seen. The Lady K'arrala D'ey Sol, in spite of her Nevian name, was as Irelli as anyone on the streets of Sector Five, complete with Irelli-blue eyes. An ornate Nevian-styled arrangement of her rich brown hair was threaded with strands of white. Her pale Irelli face looked as if it could have gathered freckles in her youth.

General A'nden's face, by contrast, was as gray as a silver dawn. He kept his black hair, streaked at the temples in a stark white, at the nape of his neck, after the Nevian fashion. Very few Nevians chose Irelli wives since the two species were not compatible and could not produce offspring. Many, however, adopted Irelli children. Few Nevians were fertile.

As he drew close, both of them gave him the low bow reserved for those in authority. At least they acknowledged his position.

"Please be seated," the Lady Commissioner said, gesturing to a chair in a small grouping around a low table. Bright sunlight poured through the window, a welcome change in this snow-infested city.

She took his fur-lined greatcoat and draped it over a vacant chair instead of handing it to a servant. In fact, no servants seemed to be present at all.

The two took seats as soon as Salettin sat down. Refreshments had already been placed. He helped himself. In fact, this conversational grouping nestled the farthest from the door to thwart any possibility of eavesdropping. He remembered that the door had clicked behind him, locking itself, as it closed. This must be a very private discussion.

The Lady led a light conversation on his health, the weather, questions about her daughter's well-being, and a few other pleasantries before either of them broached the reason for requesting his attendance.

"I must apologize for calling this to your attention at so late a date, Prince Salettin," A'nden began. "But I would like your indulgence in yet another contract between us."

Salettin raised one eyebrow, but said nothing.

"There is a large parcel of land I wish to bestow on my daughter."