six

The children did the dishes for their mother and father had fallen asleep. It was only six thirty.

"Do you think we could make dessert?" Laura, the little girl peeped. Isaac looked down at her and began to think. Perhaps it would make mommy and daddy happier. He got off the counter and wondered to a cabinet that held baking things. There was a cake mix that was unused from somebody's birthday. He smiled and got it down.

"We can try, but Elise was the true baker." He mumbles sadly, remembering that the little girl had big dreams of becoming a professional baker. She had drawn out a map of her store. It now hung in a picture frame in her room. A once simple drawing that became a prized possession.

"Maybe we can do it! Lisey gave us a lot of tips for baking." Caleb remembers, looking over to his older brother with a glimpse of shining hope in his eyes. Isaac agrees and turns to Laura who is smiling a bit. Something that's been harder to do lately. Death really grows you up. The once bouncy and goofy six year old now ponders over the murder of her loving big sister.

"Laur, could you please get some mixng bowls?" Isaac asks. She nods and heads to the drawer with the mixing bowls. She nods with her floppy blonde pigtails and and goes to the drawer.

"Caleb, you can get the other mixing stuff and I'll grab the ingredients." Isaac says. The little boy replys with a smile, a small one, and does his part. The older one gets out egs, water, amd vegetable oil for the box cake. They all sit on the counter and begun mixing.

"Wait Isaac, aren't we not allowed to use the oven ourselves?" Caleb asks. Isaac nods slowly, but with a confident, and for once a very hopeful
look, he responds.

"Cubby, mom and dad do all that they can to take care of us when we're in need. But now it's our turn. They're hurting like we are, but we need to step up and do something to make them happy, even if that means breaking the rules a little. Now Cub, turn the oven to 325."

He does so and they finish the mixing, even with a little mess from little Janae, they out the strawberry cake ever so carefully into the oven.

"I'm going to put Janae down for her nap, you guys can turn on the TV or something. Just make sure it's quiet, so they don't wake up." Isaac says, after he and his helpful siblings cleaned up the spilled batter off the table. Caleb and Laura nod, snuggling onto the couch with Elise's fuzzy floral blanket. It was their safety net. The one thing that could keep them warm when the blazing sun couldn't.

"C'mon Jay, it's time to lay down." The responsible boy says. The girls whines and begins to kick and cry. She cries and whines, not wanting to lay down for a nap.

"Please Janae!" Isaac pleads with empty energy, picking her up and setting the crying child into her bed. She shakes her head and kicks the blankets back.

"I want Lisey to go to bed with me!" She cries, just wanting a snuggle for her absent sister.

Isaac's small body shakes. Hard cries erupt, breaking down when he tried so hard to not cry. But a grown adult, let alone a child, can only take so much before he breaks down. He cried so much. He could barely breath. Isaac sat on his trembling knees and sobbed.

Just cried.

Because that's all that was left of him.