Knowing

Iris' POV

~~~~~~~

'The Fault in Our Stars, Paper Towns, Peter Pan.' I read the titles out loud, running my fingers over the spines as I browsed the bookshelves in Brynns room.

'Having fun?' Brynn joked as she picked up a pile of tshirts.

'Yeah actually.' I pulled 'The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane' off the bottom shelf and took a seat in the hanging chair.

'Woah!' I looked up from the first page to see Brynn staring into a drawer.

'I forgot to tell you she brought us clothes already.' I said while my eyes trailed back to the book.

'How did she arrange this if she was chosen to house us in 12 hours?' Brynn asked with a worried look.

'Maybe they were going to move us before this they just hadn't told us yet.'

'I suppose so.' she said placing the pile of clothes into the drawer. I placed the book back on the shelf and started searching for another.

'Do you ever think they miss us?' Brynn questioned softly.

'Who?' I asked looking into her sad eyes.

'Our families? your family?' I held my breath.

'Yeah Brynn. I think that, wherever they are, they miss us.' I said holding back tears.

'I hope so. I know I miss them.'

'Me too. do you-' I was interrupted by a knock on the door. We ran over to the door and creaked it open. Jamie stood outside with a tray of cookies and a carton of milk.

'May I come in?' she asked raising her the tray a little.

'Sure!' Brynn chirped as she stared intensely at the cookies.

As Jamie walked through the door the boy appeared and place his hand on the door to prevent it from shutting.

'No!' Brynn shouted backing up. 'no! no! no!' she repeated as she retreated into the room. the boy followed after her reaching out for her arms. I stood in shock as I watched the scene unfold before me.

Before I even realized it I was running towards Brynn trying to protect her from the strange man who was advancing toward her. As quickly as I started running I was tackled to the ground by Jamie.

'Let me go!' I screamed trying to escape her arms. tears of anger started to run down my face as I surrendered to Jamie's hold. my body went limp as she laid me down.

Brynn was cornered, her face stained by tears as she struggled for a way out.

'Please don't hurt me!' she cried as she slid to the floor. 'what have I ever done to you?! I never hurt you Peter! I swear! Don't give me back to Dad! I don't wanna die!'

'BrynnieBear, remember when mom used to sing us to sleep in the room with the huge windows and no chairs? where we would sit on cushions that mom would carry into the room for you, Peter and me?' The boy asked as he pulled Brynn's arms way from her face.

'BrynnieBear?' she whispered.

'Yeah. the song went like this: Wise men say only fools rush in

but I can't help falling in love with you. Shall I stay

would it be a sin If I can't help falling in love with you.'

Her tears slowed as she sat there staring into his eyes. he released her hands and wiped her tears.

'Brynn, my names Louis. I'm Peter's twin brother. you don't remember me because when I was seven and you were five I ran away from home with the help of one of the neighbors. I always kept track of you. I tried to protect you but dad never let me near you.'

'But...'

'I won't hurt you. I promise. I'm not cold hearted like Peter or Dad.'

Jamie released me and I crawled over to Brynn. Louis looked at us with tears in his eyes. he looked back at Jamie and motioned her over. Jamie came over and we sat still for what must've been at least ten minutes.

Brynn slowly sat up and moved towards Louis. He sat completely still as if he would scare her away by simply breathing. She reached out and touched his cheek. he sighed and reached out for her. she shied away at first but then crawled into his arms for a long hug.

'I remember you.' she cried as she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. 'you were the only one who cared about me after mom died.'

Jamie reached out and wiped her tears. Brynn pulled her into the hug as Louis arm wrapped around Jamie's waist. after a few seconds they opened up and reached their arms out towards me.

I cautiously moved toward them and accepted the hug and for once in what felt like centuries, I felt safe.