Chapter4: Left behind

I was awoken by a small shake. I, being the light sleeper I am, jump up and prepare a powerful punch to the shadow in front of me. It was in mid-punch I stopped immediately in front of the figure's scrunched up face. "F-fang? Is that you?" I asked in disbelief. He nods, his eyes still closed. "How did you get out of your cage?" I continued. One of his eyes opened, then the other. "I have to go back in my cage but this is our way out. We can be free. No more tests, no more erasers, and no more white coats." He ignored my questions. "How?" I ask, grabbing his arm. A tall, skinny figure walks to the opening of my cage. "My truck can't fit all of the cages. Can you two share?" It asks. "Sure Jeb." Fang replied. Oh, so it's Jeb. He's Ari's father. He created me, us actually, so I guess he's all of our father. Fang steps all the way into the cage and sits down. "How'd you sleep?" He asks. I yawn and laugh at the same time. "I could use a little more. How about you?" I put a hand on my mouth to hide a smile. "Don't worry about me. You should get some rest." He said pulling me close. I put my head on his small shoulder and my lids start to close.

A small bump jolts me awake. I stand up abruptly and run to the edge of my cage. I look out,up ,and see a dark blanket with shining things on it. I reach my hand up to touch them, though my mind knows that it's too far. "They're called stars." A voice says behind me. I turn around and see Fang with his arm crossed. "Stars." I repeat. "They're beautiful." I say in wonder. He yawns and I frown. "Have you been up all this time?" I half scold. He nods sheepishly. "Go to sleep." I tell him. Fang doesn't argue and lays down on the floor of the cage, using his arms as a pillow. I smile at his sleeping figure, now realizing that there are other cages. I have to squint my eyes to see that in one cage there are two girls in it, one dark skinned. In another there is a scrawny boy with shaggy hair. I think I saw him before. He's the blind one. In the same cage there's two very small figures. One's a small boy that is holding a... a baby girl? My thoughts were disrupted by a big bump in the road making my small body fly (not with the wings) towards the forced open door of my cage. I grab a bar and hang on for dear life. I kick at the air but I don't scream afraid to wake the others. I kick the trunk door incidentally. The wind that was blowing blew harder. I scream but it gets muffled by the wind. "Help! Fang please, help me!" I cry. I see him stir and look up at me with half opened lids. His words were slurred as if he were drunk. "Oh, its you. Good night." My eyes widened. "Wh-what!? Fang wake up!" I yell.

No answer. He must be asleep. I start to cry. No one can hear me. I hug the one bar. Another bump made me lose my grip on the bar. I scream again as I slide down the trunk of the truck. My bear feet scrape against the gravel road. I hiss and lift them up as much as I can, which isn't that far. My small hands slowly started to loose their grip.

No, no,no,no,no,no,no! 'Let go Maximus'. a voice says. Let go!? Is this thing crazy!? Another bump sends me to the ground. On instinct my wings open. I raise to my feet and chase down the truck. But with every step pain jolts from my scraped toes to my head. Soon my sprint turned into a jog. The jog turned into walk. From my walk I collapse onto the small rocks. I sobbed as my wings closed back into my hospital dress. A light was coming from behind me. I covered my eyes not knowing what it was. Then I heard something that drained all the blood from my face, an engine. I rolled on my stomach out of the way just in time. The pain in my body is unbearable! Everywhere it hurts. I lay on my back staring at the stars. I hear footsteps hurrying up to me. "Oh my goodness. Sweetie if you can hear me close your eyes." The voice says. I do as I'm told. "Oh thank god." It says.

"They left me. FANG left me..." I mumble.

The world went black.