Chapter5: meeting the Martinez

"Mommy!? Is she dead?! Hey! up stwander up, up!" Said a high pitched, feminine voice. Who is this? How long has it been since I blacked out? "Come sweetheart she has to rest. You don't want to wake her up do you?" A different voice said. I could recognize it as a woman's voice. A smooth hand softly ran across my forehead, moving a piece of hair out of my face. The hand touched me gently as if I was a fragile piece of glass that might shatter. They soon leave the room. I hear the door close. I wait a few minutes before I my head shoots up. I feel pain instantly in my left arm and my right wing. "Ugh everything hurts." I mumble. I whip my head around to look at my surroundings. A lot of pink, stuffed animals, and dolls.

I whipped the covers off my legs. I'm wearing a pink shirt and shorts with teddy bears on them. My legs are covered in bandages. Does that mean that they saw my wings?

I slowly slide off of the bed and onto my feet. The cool wooden floor gave me shivers. I slowly walk towards the door and put my ear on it. No noise came. I open the door and a sweett fragrance enters my nostrils making follow it. Don't blame me, I'm only 10! As I'm walking down the stairs I hear muffled voices. "Mommy.....wing....shh.... wake her up...." I gasp. They know about my wings! I quickly and silently slide down the rest of the railing and enters to what appeared to be a kitchen. As I'm poking my head in, a squeal erupts from someone behind me. I turn and see, I'd say, a six year old girl bouncing up and down. I put a hand on her mouth and put a finger to my lips. Whipping my head around I ask," If I take my hand away will you stay quiet?" She nods her head vigorously. I uncover it slowly. She's still bouncing. "What's your name?" I ask her. "My name's Ella Martinez." She says. "Well my name's Maximus Stokes." I say. "Wow that's a mouthful. Can just call you Max?" Ella asks. I nod my head. "Ella, who are you talking to?" A woman walks into the hallway and I freak. Pivoting, I turn to the door and try to open it. It's locked, it's locked and I don't know how to open it! I try pulling it open but to no success. I turn to the stairs but Ella's in the way. There's no way out! I back away into a corner and squat down, like a cat that's cornered by a dog. The woman is now right in front of me. She reaches a hand out to me. I swat it away. 

She sighed and went back to the kitchen and came back with a plate of brown things with darker brown things on top. The female slides it to me. I look at her confused. "You've never had chocolate chip cookies before?!" Ella asks. I shake my head. 'So that's what they're called...cookies.' I take one off the plate and put it in my mouth. It tasted wonderful! I've never had something so sweet in my life! I take them all off the plate and put them in my lap, sliding the plate back to her. "Mommy, this is Max. Max, this is my mommy!" Ella says as I'm finishing off the last one. "I'm doctor Martinez, Max." She said holding out her hand. I hesitantly shake it. "Thank you for these clothes and...cookies but do have anything more...airy?" I ask assuming that they know about my wings. "Specifically on my back."

"Sure, you won't be flying for a while though." Dr. Martinez gets up and holds out her hand. I take it and we walk up the stairs.