Chapter 6: Caleb

After Dr. Martinez gets me something that's what she calls 'a little more my style', which is apparently all black with a little bit of turquoise, we walk back downstairs and sit at their kitchen table. She puts a plate of cookies in front of me. "So um Max tell us about yourself." Dr. Martinez says. I put a cookie in my mouth. "I don't really know a lot. I know my name and where I come from, sorta." I say, continuing to stuff my mouth. "Where do you come from?" She asks.

"Well, I think I'm a pod baby." I say. She looks at me in confusion. "It means that I was made in a test tube." She nods. "Do you know how old you are?" I look at her confused. 'How old I am?' "What does that mean?" I ask. Martinez's face shows shock. "It means how long have you been alive. In years." She says. I shrugged.

"Hmm do you know the place where you were made?" She asks. I think for a second. If I tell her I'm from a lab would people come back for me and hurt her? It wouldn't be lying if I told her I didn't know because I really don't know where I came from. I look up at her and shrug. "Oh okay well, why don't you go outside and play with Ella?" Dr. Martinez says as I'm wiping my mouth with a cloth. My eyes widen. "Outside!?" I stand up, my eyes sparkling. "Y-yes." She answers shocked. "I've never been the outside before!" I run towards the door before she stops me. "Wait! Aren't you going to put shoes on?" She asks. I look down at my bear feet. "Do you have any?" I ask. Dr. Martinez stands up and takes my hand. I look at my hand and a small smile appears on my face. Her hand is so warm like the cookies I ate. Her smooth skin makes mine feel like I never grew up in a cell, like I've known her my whole life. I hug her arm snuggling into it. She looks down at me. "Are you okay, Max?" I nod, for once feeling welcome in the world. "I'm great." I say quietly.

Dr. Martinez found sandals for me. They were a little small but she said that I could get my own shoes later. She leans down and straps my sandals. "Now you can go outside." She smiles. I look down at my feet and smiled as well. Shoes. I hug her quickly before running out the door. "Remember to not spread your  wings!" I hear before the door closes. When I run outside I hear laughing and squeals of joy. I turn and towards the noise to Ella being pushed by a little boy on the swing. "Haha higher Caleb!" Ella squeals. The boy looks at me before he stops the swing. "Who's that?" He whispered to her. Ella looks at me then smiles. "Oh that's just...my big sister!" She runs over to me and gives me a hug. Big sister? I look down at her and hug her back. "Since when do you have a big sister?" The boy asks. Ella scoffs. "Since ever! You've just never met her because she's always busy!" The boy walks up to me. "I'm Caleb." I smile, glad that he accepts me. Ella playfully winks at me. I wink back at her. Ella's smart. She's really smart. She realizes, even though she's younger, that my "powers" are to remain a secret. "You wanna play with us?" Caleb asks. "Sure. What do you want to play?" I nod. "Let's play play hide-in-seek!" Ella yells. We all nod. "I'll count first." I say. They nod before running away. I close my eyes and start counting to 25 since that's as high as I can count to. "Ready or not here I come!" I say. Hmm where could they be.... I walk towards a bush to see if one of them were hiding behind it. Nothing. I walk back towards Ella's house and go around it. There's a tree and swing set. I hear rustle of leaves as some of them fall off of the tree. "Hmm." I walk towards the tree and look up into the tree. I smile. There sits Caleb hanging upside down on a thick branch. "Hi Caleb!" I say cheerfully. I do a little celebration dance as he climbs down.

He playfully sticks his tongue out at me. I giggle. "Come on, let's go find Ella." I start to skip as Caleb follows me. I pass a tree when I hear cries and yells. "Do you hear that, Caleb?" I ask. He nods. I walk faster, the yelling growing closer, and louder. I start to sprint, Caleb following suit. "She's loose, get her!" A small male voice says. "I'm sorry! I'll never tell again, I promise!" More footsteps. I'm not going to get there in time. I don't know what's happening but it sounds dangerous. I do a small 360 degree turn to make sure that no one is looking and opened my wings. I feel a bit guilty for going against the rules but there's no choice.