Different

Minako Aiko walked in nervously. She looked around the school. Aoba Johsai High School was large and she knew she would get lost. She turned to where some fangirls were squealing over a boy. Smiling, she walked to 1st Year Class 6 and began to get her books ready. From the window, Aiko watched a P.E lesson take place. She had never excelled at sports and so she was intrigued by the determination of the players.

"Aiko," a voice called.

Minako turned to face the teacher.

"What is an enzyme?" the teacher asked.

Minako felt all eyes on her. There were first years, second years and third years. She breathed in.

"An enzyme is a biological catalyst. It is a lock and key mechanism meaning its active site and the substrate are complementary to each other and becomes an enzyme-substrate complex. The enzyme speeds up the digestion of the substrate and since the product is not complementary to the active site, it diffuses away from the enzyme," she explained.

The whole class looked at her shocked. Minako smiled.

"Well done, Aiko!" the teacher exclaimed, "It seems you can take the lesson instead of me!"

As Minako took her seat, Oikawa looked at her and smiled. He had not seen her around school before and she certainly was not one of his fangirls. She was different.

It was lunchtime and Minako was bored. She walked out onto the field. She saw the first gymnasium and realised nobody was inside. She walked inside to find a cart of volleyballs. A net had already been set up. Minako served but the ball hit the net instead. She tried again and the ball went out.

"If you're going to hit it, hit it until it breaks," a voice said.

Minako turned around to face the boy who had been surrounded by squealing fangirls and who was also in her class. As she got her bag to leave, Oikawa said,

"Try one more time,"

Minako turned to face the boy. She put her bag back and picked up the volleyball.

"Step back and toss the ball into the air as soon as the ball contacts your hand, hit it with all your power," he said.

Minako served again and this time the ball went over the net and she smiled happily. She turned to the boy.

"Thank you," she said. Oikawa smiled.

As she walked out, Oikawa came behind her.

"So do you do any sports?" he asked.

Minako shook her head, "I only dance,"

"Are you thinking of joining any clubs yet?" Oikawa asked.

"Manga club," she said.

"Oh," Oikawa said, "I was hoping you'd become the manager of the boy's volleyball club,"

Minako turned around to face Oikawa.

"You do know I am terrible at sports," she said.

"You're not that bad but you're very clever," he said.

"I only know how to play volleyball because of an anime I watch," she said.

"It's not that hard to learn about it and you know the basics!" he exclaimed.

Minako looked at Oikawa.

"Okay, I'll become the manager of the boys' volleyball club and see how it goes," she said. Oikawa beamed.

"Okay, come tomorrow to the first gymnasium after school!" he said.

Minako smiled to herself.