Chapter 1

Back before humans were introduced to Valeryk. It was a little island. It was small enough to go unnoticed but large enough for dragons and mythical creatures to roam free with the Elves, who they were bonded with. You see when a creature is born their parents decide if they were free or bound to an elf.

This story begins on the elves blood oath celebration. By the water was a box with a human baby in it. A young elf woman named Magic found the little girl and took her in as her child and named her, Nieva. Magic’s husband Knoa loved them both very much. Nieva grew up like all elf people, fighting for battle and singing to the plants and animals.

Nieva was blessed with magic when she landed on the beach. Not one person had magic that powerful at a young age. The king and queen wanted Nieva to be brought into the palace, but Magic refused. They understood and let her keep Nieva.

By fifteen Nieva was allowed to pick the mythical animal she wanted to be bonded with. She wanted to be a dragon rider. There were few dragons that would let their young be bound by the people. All refused but one. Sophie and Rodin called her forward and let her pick the young egg in their nest. Sophie was tan and Rodin was gray. Nieva picked the silver egg and Sophie released the magic. The other eggs hatched and were already hunting. The silver one stayed. Rodin told her to stay and wait. Nieva sat down and waited. Her parents told her they were going home and said their nights and left.

A little after midnight the egg hatched, Sophie named her Mireldis, Nieva came forward and held out her hand. Mireldis touched the palm of her hand and a blast of silver was around them both. Mireldis and Nieva could hear each other’s thoughts and feelings. Mireldis was continent.

Sophie was happy for Mireldis and let them go home. Magic put Nieva to bed and Mireldis followed talking to her rider. They slept together and stayed together at all times expect when Mireldis went hunting. Every now and then Sophie or Rodin would come and teach them something. No one knows why Nieva was the first female rider as well the first human rider. She was stronger and faster than the rest of the riders. The king would visit her and teach her and Mireldis to be the next rulers of Valeryk.