Chapter 11

Mireldis didn’t like flying over water for a long time. I didn’t like being trapped in iron and it was around my neck. I tried to get it off, there was no key or anything. They must have tightened it when I fell asleep. It was smooth and I couldn’t feel anything amiss. It was different, Mireldis saw that they had pliers and iron. I didn’t feel anything, they put it on and made it where I couldn’t get it off. They had everything planned out. Father wanted me home and I think he was going to put a chain on the iron that I now call a collar.

I got to the palace and Mireldis landed infront of the door and broke it down, I didn’t care what she broke. There was enough room for Mireldis to come in. The king, Eric, came out of his room and looked surprised. “Get this iron off of me now.”

“Why should I. You have magic and you are powerful. You get it off.”

“I can’t, I haven’t completed my training. I can’t because it is iron. Get it off or Mireldis will toast you alive.”

“I cannot.”

“Why?”

“Because, I don’t have a key or pliers to remove it.”

Mireldis, can you bite through the iron?

I can but it would be hard without hurting you.

I don’t care. I can heal myself. I just want it off.

Wait til we leave.

Fine.

“My king and queen wants to make a deal with you.”

“Let’s hear it.”

I told him and he agreed but I needed to go home and tell the king and Eragon. He might still be mad at me. I got on Mireldis when a knight pulled me off and put a chain on the iron. I looked at them and said “Brisingr.” The medal melted and I jumped on Mireldis in the air and we flew home.

We stopped long enough for me and Mireldis to eat and tried to break the iron. Do you think the king can melt the iron? He is skilled and powerful. I don’t want to wear this any longer than I have to.

We will find out when we get home.

We were home the next day and Mireldis went straight to the king and told him and showed him the iron. He touched it and it melted away. I could breathe and it felt good. He called it off because of what happened.

Eragon was called to the palace and he thought I was gone forever. When he came in and saw me, he ran up and hugged me. The young farrow named Brioso followed close behind. I grabbed his hand and saw the mark of the wing of a farrow. I was happy for him but he looked busy. He looked tired. What’s wrong, you don’t look good.

“Just tired that’s all. You have some explaining to do. You can’t just disappear like that. What happened to you? You have a mark on your neck. Was it Iron? Just don’t stand there, tell me.”