Chapter 5

More people came off the ship and sailed to the island to see what was happening. Every time I tried to destroy them with fire. To me it was wrong, I never kill anything or anyone.

I talked to the king and queen about them coming back with more people. They wanted me and Mireldis. I was never giving up. The queen had an idea. She wanted me to go with them and find out what they wanted with me. I swore under the language of elves that I would serve only the king and queen of elves. Mireldis agreed and she would stay in contact with her parents and they would tell the king.

I went and got ready and Mireldis got a little extra hunting done and I packed fruits and veggies. Mom and dad gave me a stone that had more magic in it so when I feel weak I could use it. I would miss them so much. I saddled Mireldis and put the food in one side and a secret spot is where I put the stone. The pocket was under the saddle horn. It was a good spot and no one could find it because Mireldis won’t let anyone near her or our stuff.

I got on and we flew to the camp site and let them take me. They pulled me off and put chains on me. They weren’t tight and I liked that. Mireldis was above me making sure they didn’t do anything stupid. Once on the ship they put me in a huge cage with Mireldis. I was content that I was with Mireldis. I had food in the saddle and she was full for a while. There was no elf children on so that made it better.

After a week of sitting and doing nothing I sat down and played with magic. Some people watched. Others didn’t care. I was bored and was playing with water. I got an idea and put a black force field over the cage and washed myself. After that I let the field fall and looked at the people with chains in their hands. They threw them and I put a force field around me and Mireldis.

Mireldis growled and they backed off.  “If I wanted to get out I could but this is iron and I can’t get through iron. So back off.”

“What were you doing?”

“Washing myself without you people looking at me. I may be an elf but I need my alone time. So like I said, back…off…” Mireldis hissed to make sure they won’t forget.

Wow humans are stupid. They think they can control me by a cage. Next time I will melt the lock. Its medal I can get through medal.

Just be careful, you die, I die too. That is the number one thing is to stay alive during this venture. We can’t have all the humans mad at us and want to kill us.

I know. I just want this to be over so the young men won’t fall in love with me. Then we would be in trouble.

If they come close I could scare them off like I did earlier.

What did they do?

They tried to move you to a bed and I know we don’t like being apart so I snapped at them. They are going to bring you a bed in a minute. I got into a mind and told him. This bed sounds weird.

So you want me to try it out.

Yes I do? Now we need to sleep.

The young men brought a bed and put it in the corner. To them it was heavy. I picked it up easily and put it by Mireldis. I put spells on it to make sure they didn’t poison it. There was a blanket and I looked at it. The young man was watching me. He said, “You put the blanket around you when you sleep. We use them when we sleep. Don’t you?”

I shook my head no. “You can talk to me, I won’t hurt you. I was the one who unbound you. Ask your dragon.”

Mireldis hissed and I said, “Her name is Mireldis.”

“See you can talk to me.”

Did he really unbind me?

Yes he did or I wouldn’t have growled at him.

Thank you.

I don’t need the thank you. He does, he is the one that is trying to be friends.

As you wish. “Why did you unbind me. You were aware that I could get away.”

“I was aware but I knew you wouldn’t, it is one of my gifts. You were calm and unwilling to fight, and…Mireldis didn’t growl at me.”

He came near me and I said, “Blothr.” Stop. He did and didn’t know what it meant but listened.

“What does that mean? My body stopped before I could react.”

“It means stop. I said it in…” should I tell him?

I think you must, but don’t tell him more than he needs to know. The language is powerful, remember.

“In what?”

“The elf language. It is powerful and the knowledge doesn’t need to be in humans mind, so don’t ask.”

“I won’t ask, I don’t want to know.”

“Good, I thought I was going to kill you and I don’t like killing things I won’t eat.” He looked at me funny. “I don’t eat meat. Never tried it and never will.”

“Why meat makes you grow stronger. I was raised on meat.”

“We sing to the plants and animals when the year news.”

“Most of my energy is eating meat.”

“Can we get off the subject. I need to clean myself. So good night…”

“Eragon.”

“I am Nieva. Good night Eragon.”

“Good night Nieva.”

I lay on the bed and I put the blanket by the door folded and went to Mireldis and ate an orange. I fell asleep and Mireldis put her wing over me. She curled herself around me and went to sleep.