breakdown.

Friday morning (exactly five days since her arrival at the Burrow) Haley shot up from her mattress, gasping for air.

"Another nightmare?" Ginny asked, yawning sleepily as the other girl's screams had caused her to wake.

Haley nodded apologetically, feeling awful for having disturbed her roommate yet again. It was just that ever since she brought up Mr. Coleman, horrid thoughts and memories plagued her dreams.

"Wanna talk about it?" the redhead asked, trying to be nice although she inwardly wanted nothing more than to just go back to sleep.

Glancing over at the clock beside her twin-sized bed, Haley noted that it was barely five in the morning and declined Ginny's invitation so that the little girl could return to her slumber.

Then, knowing that sleep was out of the question for her, the eleven year-old quietly exited the room and tiptoed down a creaky spiraled staircase for a glass of water.

Several Moments Later

"Morning, dear," Mrs. Weasley greeted, scaring Haley so badly that she had jumped up and squealed.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Molly still laughed, "Couldn't sleep?" she questioned, slightly distracted over the cake she'd been up since four working on.

"Not really," she rubbed her face tiredly. Haley didn't bother explaining why. Unfortunately, this had become a daily routine. Surely the older woman knew by now that the girl was suffering from a bout of nightmares.

"Is it somebody's birthday?" she asked after drinking half a glass of water. The cake was massive and so far beautifully decorated in what she now knew where Gryffindor colors.

Mrs. Weasley nodded her head, "Percy's," she informed her, not looking up as she placed the number thirteen on top of all the frosting.

"Oh," Haley replied, instantly regretting not knowing about this sooner. She now had nothing to give him.

Catching the upset look upon the girl's face, Molly stored the desert item away, promising that it could be a present from the two of them.

...

Nearly three days had passed by and not once had Severus run into his offspring. Yes, he told himself that he didn't mind, but it was still odd. Surely the whelp would have made an appearance at some point, whether it be at dinner in the great hall or by him catching her roaming about the castle once more.

Knocking upon the old lion's door, Snape decided it was time for some answers.

"Severus," Minerva greeted him, surprised. Still wearing her robe at this early hour, she asked him just what it was that he wanted.

"To speak with the child," he answered simply. For some reason, the man could only refer to Haley as 'the child'. Calling her Smith somehow felt wrong as that wasn't her true last name, however, he did not have a well enough relationship with the girl to be using her first. Nevertheless, a decision would have to be made quickly as she would soon be his student.

"Miss Smith is still asleep," Minerva lied, talking in hushed tones to appear more convincing.

"Well, then perhaps I should wake her," Snape snidely suggested.

"She's only eleven, Severus," McGonagall berated, "She needs to rest."

"Are you implying that the child was up late, Minerva?" he challenged. "If she had went to bed at a decent hour-"

"Do not attempt to give me parenting advice," McGonagall spoke, her Scottish brogue coming out as she turned angry, "Not when you refused to take full responsibly for your own child."