flashbacks and findings.

"...But we're safe now," Haley concluded once she and Harry had finished sharing their pasts with one another. Her brother had spoken of his years with the Dursley's while she went into detail about her earlier encounters with Coleman.

Flashback: Haley

"Got yourself a visitor, eh?"

Miss Smith peered up from her place atop her cot. She'd been waiting for the woman Miss Evangeline said would be stopping in soon when the cook made an appearance, much to her displeasure.

"Why do you care?" Haley spat back venomously. No matter how many times this man had caused her pain, she'd never show the fear she held for him in his presence.

Coleman chuckled evilly, "If you think for a moment that I do, you'd be sorely mistaken," he informed her, taking a seat at the end of her lumpy mattress.

This action caused the eleven year-olds' heart to pick up a rapid pace. She sincerely wished that this man couldn't sense it.

"They'll be here soon," she warned the frail, elderly, pathetic excuse for a man.

The cook merely edged closer at her words rather than take caution and leave as she'd implied for him to do, "You really aren't in any position to be making threats, Smith," he replied coolly, clearly not concerned by the two ladies about to make their way in.

"Why are you even here?" Haley rudely asked, summoning her courage. "Shouldn't you be in the kitchen making our supper?" she said almost like an order rather than an inquisition.

...Earning her a harsh smack across the face.

The only fortunate thing about this situation was that Minerva and Miss Turner could now be heard heading up the stairs just outside her door, causing Coleman to instantly back off.

"As soon as that broad is gone," he smirked, not needing to finish that sentence. Haley knew she'd be in for it once her visitor departed. No sooner did the cook exit her room, she'd pulled herself up and into a tight ball at the corner of her cot, which was exactly how McGonagall found her.

The single difference was that the red mark upon her cheek had vanished thanks to Miss Smith's accidental magic.

End Flashback

Haley shivered slightly as she recounted her latest memory of Paul Coleman. She was exceedingly grateful that she had left with the professor and hadn't been abandoned once more simply to fulfill the threat he'd made. The girl did not even want to imagine what he had in store for her that time.

Shaking her head clear of the many possibilities, she continued speaking, "They can't hurt us anymore, though," the older child reassured him, mentally choosing to ignore the rumors about You Know Who. She didn't want Harry to worry over the possibility of their mother's murderer coming back for revenge. While she not only thought that to be highly unlikely, on the slight chance that the dark wizard did return, she would take care of him herself.

Flashback: Harry

"Where'd he go?" Piers, one of Dudley's closest mates, asked loudly as he and their little gang of Harry Hunters had been chasing after the larger boy's cousin.

"I dunno," he scratched his head dumbly. Harry had been just in front of them when he'd suddenly disappeared completely.

"There he is!" another kid yelled out, pointing up at the roof of their school.

Atop of it, a young Mr. Potter stood feeling both frightened and extremely confused. The last thing the scrawny child remembered, he had been desperately trying to get away from his tormentors and now he was trapped miles above the ground from them (not that he minded).