Chapter One: Shitty Job

I hate this job. I hate it so much. It's so boring but so tiring at the same time. Perhaps it's tiring because it's boring.

    Walking into work, I waved hello to my co-worker. Cherry was the only one who understood me. She was the only friend I had, she liked my music, and pretty much everything I liked. I clocked in and walked over, grabbing an apron and tying it around my waist. I probably should have covered up my shirt, but I really didn't feel like it. I'd already had a really shitty day.

    Cherry eyed my shirt, saying, "Pencey Prep? Really?"

    "What?" I asked, defensive, "I like them."

    "The lead singer is totally hot, though, right?" she asked me.

    "I've never seen him before, actually," I crossed my arms. A customer came up to the counter and ordered a coffee. I forced an extremely fake smile for her and passed on the order to the kitchen. I worked at a dinky little coffee shop with a boss who was a complete bitch and refused to pay us minimum wage so we had to live off of tips. The girl's order was soon complete so I brought it to her and forced a smile and a nice comment when she came to pay. God, I hate people. I hate all people. I hate when people are too close to me, and I absolutely can't stand it when people touch me. If a person even touched my shoulder, I would either have a panic attack or rip their head off. I didn't let anyone touch me. Not even Cherry. I hate touching.

    A boy and a girl came up to the counter and ordered a Lava Cake. They looked like they were on a date. I couldn't care less. I know I sound awfully cynical and mean but I assure you, I have good reasons. I told the kitchen and their order took a little longer. As I was sitting at the register, bored out of my mind, waiting, I got a text from my ex. I rolled my eyes and read the text, deleting the mean comment and deleting his contact in my phone. The next customer that came up was a man, he seemed to be in his mid forties. He ordered a cappuccino. I passed the order onto the kitchen just as Cherry came out with the Lava Cake. The kitchen finished the cappuccino and gave it to me. I took it to the man and he accepted it gratefully. A little too gratefully if you ask me. He smiled and as I turned to leave he gave me a pat on the butt. It took every ounce of strength that I had in my body not to either pour hot coffee down his underwear, or curse him out completely. But instead, I put on the most deadly smile I had and turned to him saying, "Sir, please don't do that again, to me or anyone else here." I was the kind of person that could say anything with my smile. My words could be calm, but my eyes would be a storm of emotion, whether it be anger, hatred, joy, or sadness.

    He seemed to get the message and drank his cappuccino. I turned around and worked the register for a little longer. The day only got shittier as it got later. I worked until four, and it had just turned two. Some old woman had ordered a pie and as I walked over to the kitchen to get it, I slipped in something on the floor. Great, I thought, getting up.

    The cook handed me the pie and I walked out of the kitchen. As I walked over to the end of the counter, I passed by Cherry. Well, sort of. I didn't pass her as much as completely collide with her. She spilled the coffee she was carrying all over me and I spilled the pie everywhere. That was the last straw, I completely lost it. I'd always had a problem with controlling my anger, and especially on days like this. Have you ever had a day that was so bad that it pushed you to do something good? Yeah, me neither.

    "Fucking fuck!" I screamed loudly, attracting the eyes of everyone in the store. I thought I had heard her apologize but my rage had deafened me, so it was hard to tell. I walked towards the doors of the restaurant when Cherry grabbed my wrist.

    "Bailey, where are you going?" she asked me. "Miss Daisy will kill you if she knows that you left. She's already going to kill us for making a mess and cursing," she tried to reason with me. Without turning around, I wrenched my arm away from her and yelled, "tell her I'm on my fucking lunch break!" banging the doors open.