Chapter Three: A Little Muddy

It'd been six days and today was my last day with my sister. All week she'd been pissed at me, until today. I'd leave the house and tell her I was going job hunting when really I was just hanging out with Frank. He was so easy to get along with and so sweet. He never judged me and only tried to comfort me. Never once did I feel unwelcome, or unwanted. It was as if he always had time for me. Look at me, I'm rambling. It'd just been so long since I'd had a friend.

    Today we had gone out to the park to hang out and talk. It started raining but neither of us were bothered by the weather, or the strange looks we got from people who saw us hanging out. A nearby park bench was drenched, but so were we, so we took a seat and just started talking.

    "I gotta tell you something," Frank stated, clearly hesitant. "I wasn't going to tell you but I figured it'd be better if I did."

    "Just spit it out, Franko," I rolled my eyes, pushing him slightly. Normally I wouldn't dream of touching someone like that. I only like to touch people when I'm causing them pain. But Frank was my best (and honestly, my only) friend. I might have touched Cherry that way after a few more years, but she'd stopped talking to me all together after I was fired. Shows you who your true friends are. Even though she'd completely betrayed me and betrayed my trust, I still loved her, and I still cherished her, since she was so special to me.

    "My band and I are leaving for tour today," he said sadly. There was a look of disappointment in his eyes when he spoke. He hung his head. He was talking about his band My Chemical Romance, they had been touring and stopped in New York, where I was. I began cackling like a madman, he shot his head up with a confused look.

    "You know, my sister is kicking me out today, so my phone would get shut off and we wouldn't be able to talk anymore, anyway," I smiled warmly at him. "You're a great friend, Franko. And your band is lucky to have you. I hope you have fun." Most people would be extremely bitter or sad in this situation, but I could only be happy for Frank. He was living his dream, and anyone who could do that gained my immediate respect. Even if they sucked as a person. Besides, I was so used to it by now that it didn't even phase me anymore.

    Frank looked thoughtful for a moment before saying, "I have to make a phone call."

    "Well, don't do it here, your phone will get drenched," I told him.

    "Yeah, that's like taking a call in a swimming pool, kid. We'll go to my car," he rolled his eyes, holding out his hand for me, which I reluctantly accepted, feeling chills. Not the good kind.

    It was hard to walk, with all the mud that was collecting on our shoes, and from the rain impairing our vision. The sky was a dark, grey color. It was almost as muddy as my shoes. The clouds were an ominous black, almost completely covering the sky. The sun was hiding, resting. It would come back out when it was ready. Stomping through the mountains of mud, we eventually made it to the car, and tried wiping off our shoes before ultimately giving up and just getting in to get out of the cold rain.

    Frank took his phone out of his coat pocket. Well, less of a coat and more of a hoodie. I was surprised it even worked, honestly. He picked out a contact and called. He waited about ten seconds before speaking.

    "Hey, Gerard," he began, nervously, "So you remember Bailey."

    I heard a muffled voice on the other line laugh and say, "How could I forget her!? You won't shut up about her-"

    Frank rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah, well, first of all she's right here."

    "Hi Gerard!" I cut him off, causing Frank to playfully hit me on the shoulder, which didn't freak me out as much as I thought it would.