Chapter 25: Mr. God of War

Joel reported back two days later that his location for practicing gateways was free and clear, but the moment he texted Emery, she also got a call from Grandpa Al.

"The Ward reviewer has arrived," he said. "Bring Wesley with you and come see me."

As the governing body of the North American arm of the Hypnos State, the Ward was required to review every Hypnos education facility under its watch. Once a year, a reviewer was sent out to examine the campus, interview students, faculty, and staff, and sit in on classes. Once a year, Fenhallow received a high rating and a commendation from the State for continued excellence. Their reports were released into public record to show everyone outside the State how their protectors' educations were proceeding.

The reviewers were usually tight-lipped executive types from the non-dreamhunter divisions of the Ward. They were always trained in proper procedure, but they were always from different departments, like they'd been volunteered for the job.

When Emery and Wes got to Grandpa Al's office, Emery thought for a moment that she had the wrong room. Grandpa Al was there, sitting behind his desk, with the window where it always was and his tea cabinet behind him, and Grandma Juno's famous powder-blue teacup resting next to his nameplate. But there was another man in the room with him, dark-skinned, barrel-chested, and bare-armed even in the cold depths of a northern October. A silver-and-gold tattoo of a handaxe lined each forearm, the axe heads curving against his biceps and triceps. He was perched on the edge of the desk, arms crossed, huge frame heaving with laughter.

Emery could sense dreamkiller all over him, like a stench.

"Oh no," Wes said under his breath.

"Come in." Grandpa Al motioned them into the room. The big man wiped his eyes as his laughter quieted. He slid off the desk and stood to his full height, a little taller than Wes.

"Westerman!" He threw an arm around Wes's neck and pulled him in for a quick embrace. His voice rattled Emery's bones; until then, she'd thought Wes's voice was deep. "I heard you've been getting yourself into trouble."

"Hi, Uncle Ares," Wes grunted into a large armpit.

"Emery," Grandpa Al said, motioning toward their guest, "This is Ares Montgomery, the reviewer from the Ward. You'll be showing him around campus. I had David send you his requests for his rooms and what he'd like to see."

"I'm pretty easy, don't worry." Ares released Wes. He paused, picked at Wes's hair a bit, looking unimpressed. "You need a haircut, boy. Your momma would be sick. I'll give you one while I'm here. I'm great with hair."

Ares himself had only the barest of black stubble across his head.

"Yeah," Wes said.

"Ares works in the higher echelons of the North American Ward," Grandpa Al continued, "so it's very important we make a good impression."

"You're gonna make them think I'm lying about being easy, Al."

Grandpa Al smiled. "I wouldn't want Em to think it's not a challenge."

Emery said nothing. This was Grandpa Al's nice-to-visitors voice. When he glanced at her, there was a hesitation, a searching, in his gaze. He was still hiding something. He was still looking for something in her. He still knew she'd lied.

To get away from that gaze, she brought up her email on her phone and found a message from Receptionist David with an itinerary and a list of requests for the room.

"We'll need a little while to get all this ready," she said.

"Take your time," Ares said. "I have a few things to check into in the city."