[Vol. 2] Chapter 9: The Wolf in the Snow

"Please, call me Trevor."

It really was Trevor van der Gelt striding toward Emery, holding out his hand for her to shake, beaming like the sun. She'd always expected him to be smaller than he looked on television. He had to be at least as tall as Wes, and more svelte. And smiley. Lord in the Dream, his smile was white. And sharp. And huge. His teeth should've been too big to be considered handsome, but somehow they balanced out the rest of his face. Emery shook his hand and tried to pull her thoughts in order.

"Wait...what...what is happening right now?"

Trevor laughed. Mr. Lowe let out a huff behind Emery.

"It shouldn't be anything too difficult for you, I'm sure," Trevor said. "I've been having some recurring dreams lately and I'd like to make sure they're taken care of before they get too close." He leaned on the back of his chair. He looked so awake. Alert, attentive, never breaking eye contact with her. It was like staring into a signal beam. "As much as Mr. Lowe urges me to take a break now and then, I am very busy, and I'm afraid I can't spare a day to recover from a bad night."

"For me," Emery repeated. "Right. Could you clarify that for me? I've never been specifically requested for a mission before."

"You were the one who stopped the attack on Fenhallow Academy, weren't you?" Trevor looked honestly confused. "And you're the dean's granddaughter, that must count for something. I've spoken with Dean Ashworth many times. He's an exceptional teamaker. I knew of you and thought you would do a good job, so here we are."

"You asked for me," Emery said, wanting to slow down but catching herself before she could descend into rudeness. "I—I'm sorry, Mr. van der Gelt—"

"Trevor."

"—Trevor, I just don't understand why you would ask for a dreamhunter student instead of a tested, experienced full-time dreamhunter."

"Clearly you are neither inexperienced nor untested," Trevor said. "I can ask for someone else, if you feel uncomfortable with this."

"No, I'll do it." She said it far too fast. The thought of being cooped up on Fenhallow's campus for one more day had her skin crawling. "What do you want us to patrol? The house? The yard?"

"The yard, please. I apologize for beginning this in the snow, but I didn't think it could wait until spring."

"And what are we looking for?"

"I'm sorry? Don't you look for nightmares?"

"Yes, but they take specific forms. I need to know what the nightmare is about so that we recognize it."

Trevor thought for a moment, shifting to smooth his hair back once again. He must have taken a recent shower. He certainly smelled like he had. Stitched in black into the breast pocket of his robe were the letters VDG. "Hm. How about this: nightmares move toward their dreamers, don't they? That's how it works?"

"Yes."

"Then kill any nightmare that approaches the house."

He smiled a little. He knew she knew he was dodging the question, which didn't surprise her. Most people dodged the question of their nightmares, especially if they were the wealthiest businessmen in the Sleeping City.

"We don't kill them," Emery said. "We strip their energy so they have to return to the Dream."

"That would be fine. Oh, and before you go." He nodded toward her. "How are those cuffs working? Have you noticed any issues?"

Emery looked at her cuff, the one she'd been given when she started going on missions. It was identical to all the cuffs of all the other dreamhunters and dreamkillers. "Good, I guess? It's nice not to have to carry my phone with me on missions. Why?"