Chapter 5

I woke up with a yawn as the sunlight streaked through the window. Looking next to me, I saw that both Gideon and Pacifica were gone. Huh. They must have left to go on an adventure.
I changed into my performance clothes and headed to the Tent of Telepathy. Dipper and Mabel were already there. "You're early," Dipper remarked. Mabel snickered, the way she always did.
I ignored his remark. "Have you seen Gideon and Pacifica lately?" I asked them. "I figured they'd be on an adventure, but I wasn't completely sure."
Dipper shook his head, and Mabel didn't do anything. "I haven't seen them, sorry," Dipper said. "Like you said, they're probably going on an adventure like they always do."
A familiar voice in my head whispered, "He lies...he knows where they are..."
Are you sure? I replied to Yume. Then again, there's always been something not right about them...but why would they be interested in Gideon and Pacifica? They're interested in the mysteries of Reverse Falls, not two random kids in town...
Yume didn't agree with me. "I don't know, but I'm getting the feeling the twins know where they are and they're not telling you. You might want to be careful."
I will. "You guys ready?" I asked. They responded with a silent nod.
"First things first," Dipper said as we got backstage, "you will be our assistant. You can't reveal anything, understand?" I nodded. I knew I would end up like Will if I revealed anything about Dipper and Mabel's powers. "Second," he continued, "only step in when we tell you to. Otherwise, things won't go very well for you. Also, Mabel and I want to speak with you after the show. Okay?"
"All right," I replied. "Got it."
We rehearsed backstage as Dipper and Mabel aimed a variety of bladed weapons at targets, each one piercing the targets dead center. I stood back and watched them, not knowing what to do.
Before long, the show started, and the curtains lifted to reveal the twins striking a dramatic pose. "Welcome, everyone, to the Tent of Telepathy!" the twins called to the applauding crowd. "Before we begin our show, we'd like to introduce a new performer of this show! Everyone, please welcome (Y/N) (L/N)!
​​​​I emerged from behind the dark blue curtain and saw dozens of smiling faces looking up at me. I smiled, but I was thinking, Where are Gideon and Pacifica?
I stepped back and let Dipper handle the first act. As he'd rehearsed, he grabbed ten swords and knives and threw them into the air. They shot toward the floor, point down, and pierced the center of ten circles in front of the crowd.
Mabel's act was next. She picked up a knife, tossed it into the air, and kicked it so that it hissed toward the top of the tent, where it pierced another target, dead center. She did the same thing three times, each blade hitting a different target in a different area of the tent.
Dipper gestured for me to step in, and he said, "Our final trick for this morning involves Miss (L/N)!" A large five-pointed star rose from the stage, and Mabel tied my wrists to it. "Mabel and I are going to throw knives at (Y/N) and cut the ropes that bind her to the star!"
I closed my eyes. Surely they would miss and cut my hands off, right? I heard the crowd go silent as Dipper and Mabel prepared to throw the knives. I waited for them to impale my wrists. I waited for excruciating pain, but it didn't come. I felt the ropes around my wrists fall, and I opened my eyes to see the cheering audience.
Dipper looked at me with a look telling me I should go up with him and Mabel. We all took a bow as the curtains closed.
Backstage, as Dipper and Mabel put away their props, I said, "You wanted to tell me something, Dipper?"
Dipper, who had been pushing a target into place, stood up straight and turned toward me. "Yes, Mabel and I wanted to walk to you after the show." Mabel stood next to Dipper and turned to look at me.
"What did you want to tell me?" My stare switched from Dipper to Mabel, and back again.
"Will has been muttering to himself again," Mabel said matter-of-factly. "Only he hasn't been muttering about us; he's been muttering about you, (Y/N)."
I froze for a second. Will must have known about Yume somehow. Maybe she'd told him something while I was asleep last night.
"Do you have any idea why that might be?" Dipper said. His piercing blue eyes bore into mine.
Before I could respond, a bright purple light flashed. A familiar, violet triangle materialized between the twins and me.
"Who are you?" Dipper asked sternly. It was clear that his guard was up against the dream demon.
"My name is Yume," she responded sternly. "You hurt my Will and you're going to pay!"
"You're a dream demon, aren't you?" Mabel sneered.
"I am," Yume replied. "I'm Yume, a dream demon from the Nightmare Realm! And you're going to pay for everything you did to my big brother!