Chapter 4 - Meeting Darcy

Author's Note: I am terribly sorry it has taken literal years to update this story. Life got in the way, but now it's a little less hectic and I have the time to write again. Also, I apologize for my writing, I'm still rusty.

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

~*~

The blinding sun began its decent behind the dazzling glass buildings as Olivia and Cassandra began packing their textbooks, tablets, and notebooks. Both of them had tests coming up, so they made sure they knew the material well before they left the Academy's library. Both girls had empty coffee cups and dark circles underneath their eyes, however that did not hinder their mood. They still walked out of the library with laughter and smiles on their faces. As they were about to part ways, they both heard a faint holler from down the empty hallway. At first they ignored it, but the frantic, rhythmic patter grew louder and louder.

"What on earth is going on?" Olivia wondered out loud.

"Maybe it's best if we walk in the opposite direction." Cassandra suggested as she turned her back to the hallway. Perhaps it was a professor's kid playing? Before Cassandra could register Olivia's cry of warning, she plummeted to the polished marble tile. A wave of pain ran through her entire anterior. As she began to mumble about what had occurred, she heard someone to her left whispering Spanish profanities. She turned her head to see a girl a bit older than her and Olivia. The girl scrambled to her feet and pushed her course dark brown hair out of her face.

"Sorry about that. I didn't see you." The girl said as she held out her hand to help Cassandra up. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Cassandra grunted as she got up with the girl's help. "Why were you running?"

As the girl was about to reply, more thunderous pattering grew louder from down the same hallway followed by incoherent shouts. The girl's dark brown eyes grew wide at the sound.

"Because of that." She replied, then began to run down the opposite hallway of the growing noise.

"Wait!" Olivia shouted.

"Where are you going?!" Cassandra added. Both girls looked at one another for a moment, then bolted after the girl. Cassandra could hear her heart pounding in her ears as she sprinted. Her backpack slapped her back and tugged at her shoulders due to its weight, but it didn't bother her. Although it felt like they were fleeing for their life, Cassandra couldn't help but smile. When she turned to glance at Olivia, she saw that Olivia was suppressing a giggle too. Maybe the adrenaline was getting the best of them, but then again, they had no idea what they were running from, so it was sort of fun to them. Seeing the silver doors of classrooms pass by in a blur and feel a cold breeze brush their faces felt liberating to them in a way. As they continued to sprint, the girl glanced behind her and gasped.

"What are you two doing?!" She shouted.

"The real question is, what are you doing?!" Olivia yelled back.

"Yeah, what's going on?" Cassandra added.

"That's none of your concern!" The girl barked.

"Well it is now!" Olivia snapped back.

The girl made a sharp left turn to a new hallway, and Olivia and Cassandra followed suit, but all three skidded to a halt when they saw the captain of the Enterprise.

"What is going on?" Kirk asked they girls with a serious tone.

"Someone is chasing us." Olivia replied out of breath. "Well, actually they're chasing her, but we don't know why."