Chapter 2-A New Friend

Sunlight poured out from the library's massive glass windows and onto the iron bookshelves and glass tables. Not many people were in StarFleet's library since it was lunch hour, so only a few whispered conversations could be heard. The silence was broken by the sound of books slamming against the ground and a loud gasp. Everyone turned to see what was happening, even the people in the upper level of the library looked over the balcony to see what was going on. Cassandra was the one who gasped. She had been reading her textbook when she was showered with cold tea and ice cubes. The tea had gotten everywhere. On the floor, on Cassandra's textbook,and her notes. The only thing that was spared was Cassandra's glass tablet.

"I am so sorry!" The girl with the empty cup whispered. Her books were scattered all over the floor. Cassandra waved it off.

"It's fine. It's fine. This happens all the time-" Before Cassandra could finish, the librarian had rushed over and began to ask questions.

"What is going on?" He asked.

"It's nothing Sir." Cassandra tried to say, but the girl interrupted.

"I am sorry Sir, I was carrying my textbooks and my cup of tea and I tripped. I should of gotten a lid." She said, her hazel grey eyes darting to the ground in shame.

"You know your not supposed to have food or drinks in the library Ms. Rose." The librarian scolded. "Now please help Ms. McCoy clean the table and her textbooks." The girl nodded and her fiery orange curls bounced along. Once the librarian left, Cassandra walked to the bathroom with the girl trailing behind.

"I am so sorry." The girl apologized for what felt like the millionth time for Cassandra.

"It's fine." Cassandra said again as she washed her hair and tried to wipe of the tea from her uniform.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" The girl asked.

"Like I said, it's alright. I've gone through this before, don't worry." Cassandra replied. The girl gave her a questioning look.

"But it's only the third day of school..." She began to say.

"My dad has accidentally spilled coffee on me a few times before."

"What? Your kidding."

"Nope. He can be very clumsy."

The girl almost bursted out laughing.

"I better get started on cleaning the table and your textbooks." The girl said as she walked out of the restroom. She expected to clean it on her own, but Cassandra helped. Once they were done cleaning, they both had to sit down to do their homework since the accident had taken up a good hour. After they quietly read their textbooks and took notes, they began to study for their quizzes, but the girl had a hard time studying alone.

"Could I study with you?" She asked. Cassandra nodded and for the next two hours, the girls quizzed each other. They went from flash cards to using the notes and making difficult questions as they went. Once they were done, the clock was barely striking four, so they both had an hour to spare.

"What are you studying to be?" Cassandra asked.

"I want to become a science officer." the girl replied.

"Cool."

"What about you?"

"I want to be a medical officer, maybe even chief medical officer."

"That's awesome."

There was a pause before someone spoke up again.

"So how did your dad spill coffee on you? multiple times?" the girl asked. Cassandra laughed.