Chapter 9

"Morning."Rick greeted, as Caleb and I tuck into our eggs.

"Are you hungover? Mom said you'd be." Carl asked.

"Mom is right. Mom has that annoying habit." Rick exclaimed.

"Eggs. Powdered, but-but I do 'em good. I bet you can't tell. Protein helps the hangover."Dale explained.

"Where'd all this come from?"Rick questioned.

"Jenner. He thought we could use it." I said as I finish my eggs.

"Don't ever ever ever let me drink again." Glenn moans as he hits his head on the table.

"Morning."Jenner greeted.

"Hey, doc."

"Doctor, I don't mean to slam you with questions first thing But you will anyway. We didn't come here for the eggs." Dale said as he puts down his spatula

                     ***

"Give me playback of TS-19."

Playback of TS-19.
"Few people ever got a chance to see this. Very few." Jenner explained as a picture of a brain comes up on the screen.

"Is that a brain?" Andrea asked.

"An extraordinary one.Not that it matters in the end. Take us in for E.I.V... Enhanced internal view." Jenner said.

"What are those lights?" I asked as I look round to see Nick sat alone in the corner.

"It's a person's life experiences, memories. It's everything.
Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light are the thing that makes you unique. And human. You don't make sense ever? Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. They determine everything a person says does or thinks from the moment of birth to the moment of death." Jenner explained.

"You ok?" I asked Nick as I go and sit down next to him.

"I'm fine thanks. I promise as soon as I gain some strength I will leave you." Nick said.

"No please. You are a part of our group now. You can't leave us." I smiled as I pat his legs and stand up to see Caleb who is now better.

"Death? That's what this is, a vigil?" Lori asked.

"Yes.Or rather the playback of the vigil."

"This person died? Who?" Dale asked.

"Test subject 19. Someone who was bitten and infected And volunteered to have us record the process.Vi, scan forward to the first event." Jenner said as the screen moves to another picture.

Scanning to the first event.

"What is that?" Shane asked.

"It invades the brain like meningitis. The adrenal glands haemorrhage, the brain goes into shutdown, then the major organs. Then death. Everything you ever were or ever will be Gone."

"Is that what happened to Jim?" Caleb asked.

"Yes." I sighed. Andrea sighs and starts to wipe her eyes.

"She lost somebody two days ago. Her sister." I explained as Jenner walks to her. Nick suddenly stands up and moves over to our group, no one notices.

"I lost somebody too. I know how devastating it is. Scan to the second event." Jenner said.

Scanning to the second event.
"The resurrection times vary wildly. We had reports of it happening in as little as three minutes. The longest we heard of was eight hours. In the case of this patient, it was two hours, one minute Seven seconds."