Chapter 11

"So do we ring the bell? I mean it looks like people live here." I asked Glenn.

"We're past this kind of stuff, aren't we? Having to be considerate." T-dog said.

"Did you close the gate up the road when you drove in?" A young woman said as she got up from the chair. 

"Uh, hi. Yes, we closed it. Did the latch and everything."

"Hello."

"Nice to see you again. We met before briefly." Maggie said to us.

"Look, we came to help. There anything we can do?"

"It's not a bite. I cut myself pretty bad though." T-dog said as he showed his bleeding arm.

"We'll have it looked at. I'll tell them you're here."

"We have some painkillers and antibiotics.I already gave him some. If Carl needs any." Glen explained handing Maggie the bottle.

 "Come on inside. I'll make you something to eat."Maggie smiled.

                                                                                      ***

"What the hell's wrong with you people?" Daryl shouted.

 "We just started looking," I explained. 

"Well, do you? It ain't the mountains of Tibet. It's Georgia. She could be holed up in a farmhouse somewhere.People get lost and they survive. It happens all the time." Daryl said.

"She's only twelve." I sighed, as we walk through the woods looking for Sophia.

"Hell, I was younger than her and I got lost. Nine days in the woods eating berries, wiping my ass with poison oak." Daryl explained. 

"They found you?"

"My old man was off on a bender with some waitress. Merle was doing another stint in juvie. Didn't even know I was gone. I made my way back though. Went straight into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. No worse for wear. Except my ass itched something awful."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry, that is a terrible story." I laughed.

"Only difference is Sophia's got people looking for her. I call that an advantage." Daryl said.

"Maybe this isn't a world for children anymore."

"Yeah well, we have a child. Carl is here in this world now." 

"Maybe he shouldn't be."

"Which way did they go?" Daryl said suddenly we see a walker hanging from a tree.

"What the hell?"I exclaimed. 

"Got bit. Fever hit. World gone to shit. Might as well quit.  Dumbass didn't know enough to shoot himself in the head. Turned himself into a big swinging piece of bait. And a mess." Daryl said reading the board. The walker was making me groan. 

"You all right?"

"Trying not to puke."

"Go ahead if you gotta."

"No, I'm fine. Let's just talk about something else for a minute.How'd you learn to shoot?"

"Gotta eat. That's one thing these walkers and us have in common. I guess it's the closest he's been to food since he turned. Hanging up there like a big pinata. The other geeks came and ate all the flesh off his legs." Vomit rises to my throat and I turn away from Daryl and vomit whatever was left up. 

"I thought we were changing the subject."

"Call that payback for laughing about my itchy ass."

"There wasn't a lot that came up."

"Huh. Let's head back." 

"Aren't you gonna," I said as I point to the walker. 

"No. He ain't hurting nobody. Ain't gonna waste an arrow either. He made his choice. Opted out. Let him hang." Daryl explained as he started to head back to the farm.

(short filler chapter)