Chapter 19: Heart

Draco

Hermione was out cold when another healer came in.

"Mr. Malfoy... I believe you are the father of Rose Granger-Malfoy?" He asked, looking at a paper.

"Yes, Sir," I replied, sitting up.

"You are a Veela?" He continued.

"Yes."

"Then would you please wake Ms. Granger and come with me?"

I gently shook Hermione's shoulder.

"Love, we get to see Rose," I told her.

Her eyes snapped open and she sat up, wincing in pain. I swiftly picked her up, and I followed the healer. He led us to a room far away from the nursery. This was the nique (AN: How do I spell it?)

We went inside and we were led to one of the little cribs.

My heart broke when I saw my Rose. She had wires and machines hooked up to her. There was a blood thing close to her heart.

"Mr. Malfoy, Ms. Granger," the healer started, "I'm afraid to tell you Ms. Rose has heart failar."

I nearly dropped Hermione. Hermione's breathing hitched at the same second as mine.

"-she needs a heart transplant immediately, but we don't have a match. We're not sure how long she'll survive like this, but we know it can't be long..."

My baby was dying. I felt Hermione's tears soaking my sleeve as a few rolled down my own cheeks. That's when it clicked.

"Take mine."

Hermione's head snapped up at my words, her eyes terrified, and the healer just gave me a wary look.

"Mr. Malfoy, your heart is too large and powerful. If we were to even attempt to put your heart inside this child, it would kill her immediately. But, we have found your venom makes her stronger; if you'd be willing to donate-"

"Done, easy," I cut in.

"Okay then, I'll send someone to your room tonight to extract some."

The healer then gestured the baby and went to check on the other children.

I looked back at Rose. This was the first real look I got of her. She had very little blonde hair, but it was enough to tell it was curly. I couldn't see her eyes, but I knew they were brown. So many wires with sticker things were stuck to her body. She wasn't moving at all other than the slow movement of her little chest. She looked small and thin for a newborn.

Hermione still had tears flowing down her cheeks. Her hands were shaking and her breathing was rough.

"Hermione?"

She buried her face in my chest as her shoulders shook.

"Love, it's okay. We'll find her a heart," I said softly.

"I..I...it's all my f....f...fault," she sobbed.

I slowly sank to the floor with her in my arms.

"No, Love, this isn't your fault at all. It never was. This was my family's fault."

She shook her head, so I picked her up again and left the nique. I took her back to the room and cuddled her close.

"Love, it's okay now," I whispered. "We will find her a heart."

Just as she quieted down, a healer came in with a yellowish potion. He stared at Hermione and I.

"Ms. Granger, it's time for your sleeping drought," he stated.