Shade(s)

Alissa Hope at 21 was no doubt a stunning woman. She knew she could make anyone fall for her looks, she liked to call herself beauty with brains, her most striking feature being gray, doe shaped eyes.

Strong, independent and ridiculously beautiful were the three words that defined her the best if she were to be defined that was. She knew she could carry herself with confidence.

Shade. One word, numerous meanings. It could be a filter provided to a homeless person or a dog resting under the cool, lush green leaves of a margosa tree. It could be goggles shielding face from UV rays of sun or it could be pigmented powders used for the beautification of skin.

As she stood in front of her bathroom mirror, she tucked open the lid of the glittery eye shadow shimmer which was a breath taking pearl blue color which made her eyes look more gorgeous than they already were.

Although most people remain ignorant of the fact that they are lucky to have a roof over their heads, when there are countless people lying on the sidewalks, homeless and necessity deprived.

Old age homes provided the shelter to the senior citizens who were stripped bare of their rights to reside in their very own houses by none other than their own offsprings. They were like a shade in a mid summer afternoon in a place which was deficient of a handsome place to dwell in.

Alissa's mind kept playing the narrator's voice over and over in her head from a documentary she watched a few hours ago.

She had thoughts running in her head of what would have happened if she were a homeless person too and didn't have a reasonable place to reside in after she came from work daily, utterly exhausted.

She dabbed the shimmery powder and applied it over her eyelids with finesse. Then she put on a layer of cherry red lipstick on her pouty lips before applying the final stroke of voluminous mascara to her lashes and gave herself a scrutinizing look in the mirror.

"There" she thought, "All done, I'm ready to go" She briefly smiled at her reflection, " Thank goodness for these eye shimmers, I don't know what I would've done without them "

She sauntered through her apartment, collected her over coat and slipped into her work stilettos and left with her car keys firmly grasped in her hand all the while thinking that she would forever remain indebt to the inventors of shades, after all it was due to them that no one had ever known about her skin disease that had her eye lids turning an ugly shade of yellow brown which she absolutely despised.