Name Meanings

The Cabot Family

Cabot - to sail

Maurice - dark-skinned

(In the very final drafts, Maurice's name is being changed to Mathys, which means "gift of God")

Annalise - graced with God's bounty

Ilsa - God is my oath

(In the very final drafts, Ilsa's name is being changed to Camille, which means "virgin" ... Do what you will with this information)

Blair - field or plain

The Beaumont Family

Beaumont - beautiful mountain

Adam - multiple meanings: to be red, earth, to make, man

Jayla - one who is special (I used this one because it sounded like the word "jealous")

Isolde - beautiful, fair

Misc. Characters

Rowena - fair, slender (cough, fairest of them all, cough)

Denver - green valley

Avoln - no meaning (because I just made this one up)

(In the very final draft, Avoln is getting a name change to Ivan, which means apparently also means gift from God, now that I'm looking it up...)

Jean - gift from God (Again. I swear this was a coincidence.)

Most of the time I choose symbolic names for my main characters or even sometimes minor characters, so I purposely took time on Jayla, Isolde, and Rowena, but strangely, I actually didn't do anything with Annalise or Adam or Avoln or basically anyone else. They were all kind of off the top of my head this time... Huh. I don't know. Sometimes a name just comes to me and I go, "yep, I shall call you Squishy and you shall be mine, and you shall be my Squishy".