Chapter 5 - The Attack

I was near the creek behind the cottage in my mother's wedding dress, holding it just above the ground, letting my snowy slippers peek out from under my gown. I glided gracefully down an aisle made up of my father, Ilsa and Blair, towards my husband-to-be. As I came to stop beside him in front of the priest who would marry us, I saw Jean's face light up with a smile.

When it came time to move our engagement rings to the ring fingers of our left hand I couldn't hold back my own smile. My heart grew warm and beat with excitement. I took Jean's ring and moved it onto his ring finger. He did the same for me. I looked up and our blue eyes locked. The priest was saying something.

I trembled with excitement as he pulled me towards him and kissed me. As I pulled away and the priest pronounced us husband and wife, I looked up into his eyes, expecting to find sparkling blue. Instead, they were chips of obsidian.

I found myself staring into the face of Avoln.

He grinned maliciously and my dream turned into a nightmare.

"You're mine now," he said with a hungry look in his eyes. I screamed and tried to run, but he grabbed my forearm, squeezing it so hard that I screamed again, but this time in pain.

An earth shattering roar split the air and the Beast charged into my dream, tearing apart the décor and causing screams and panic. I kicked Avoln hard where I knew it would hurt and ran, tripping and flying into a table, smacking my forehead against it horribly. The Beast roared and I screamed in agony, frustration, fear and betrayal. Chaos reigned as the Beast overturned tables and ripped apart ribbons. My family members were screaming, running in all different directions, trying to find safety.

The Beast roared again and-

-I sat up in bed as the bellowing roar of a monstrous creature ripped the air apart. But this wasn't a dream. I sprang from bed like a bullet shot from a gun.

Flashes of torches appeared outside my window. Screams came from across the street. Somewhere out in the cold a child screamed. Frenzied shouts of men calling for torches erupted and another roar tore through the air like lightning.

I ran down the stairs with my white nightgown streaming ghostlike around my ankles. Darkness enveloped the cottage, but the torches outside cast the shadows of frightened, fleeing villagers.

I grabbed the doorknob and instantly felt a hand clasp my shoulder. Jean.

"Stay here Annalise. For once you've got to do this. Stay put," he said urgently.

"But Jean-," I protested.

"Stay here and I'll keep you safe," he promised. I kissed him on the cheek, attempting to pour all my emotions into something tangible.

"Don't worry about me. Just promise me that you'll be safe," I said. Outside the roars continued, along with the screams and shouts of the mob. "Promise me Jean!"

"I promise," he said, gripping my hand firmly. His eyes were pure determination. Then he let go of my hand, flung open the door and launched himself into the fray. I slammed the door shut behind him and locked it fast.

Father ran in from his bedroom in his nightshirt and robe. Even Ilsa and Blair were awake, huddling together on the stairs in their nightgowns. Together we watched the scene beyond the window, frightened.

Villagers, all men, had formed a massive circle around something I couldn't quite make out. Shouts and torches rose into the air. Pitchforks, scythes and makeshift clubs were in every hand. Women and children were huddled at windows, watching anxiously as their husbands, sons and brothers tried desperately to push something back.