Chapter 15 - Sleep Talk

I lay in bed that night wondering. Why had the Beast reacted like that? I’d only been reading. I’d been trying to make the story sound exciting was all. Did he not like the story? Or was I too loud? What was it?

He’s a beast. What other explanation do you need?

I squirmed uncomfortably under the sheets.

But there was something that didn’t make sense. It was the look on his face. That expression was one that I had never seen before in his eyes. In fact, it was so different from what I’d come to expect from the Beast that it took me a while to recognize the emotion for what it was.

Terror.

But the fear was not of me. There was something haunted, almost hunted. Maybe the story reminded him of something. An old memory maybe. Or maybe there was something about that story in particular? One of the pictures? But what could possibly incite that level of horror in the Beast? He feared nothing. Didn’t he?

I’d listened to his roars as I had stumbled away through the halls. They’d been the angry, hair-raising roars that I was well accustomed to at first. But then...then they’d turned into something else. That something else was an unearthly kind of howl, its one long note strung with pain and grief. It had reverberated through the halls, filling the castle with its mournful moan for hours. It wasn’t the animal taking over again. It was somehow different. The sound had made me want to cry. He’d sounded so...hopeless, as if there were no light left in the world. I think I might have run down to him if I hadn’t been worried he’d be angry with me.

What was it that could awaken that kind of pain and fear within him? Within anyone? I would probably never know. It wasn’t as though I needed to, it just would have been easier for both of us I think if I understood what was going on.

I sat up in bed, listening. The Beast had fallen silent a while ago and all was quiet now. The night was dark and moonless. It was hard to even see the gardens outside my window. Everything was hibernating or fast asleep. Except me. There were no night noises in this heavy winter silence. No noises except for the rustle of the sheets as I climbed out of bed.

The air was chilly against my skin so I grabbed one of the extra blankets off the bed and wrapped it around me. I carefully crossed to the door, opened it, and eased it shut behind me. I walked barefoot down the hallway in my nightdress, the blanket almost like a cloak, slowly making my way through the stone corridors of the castle towards the room with the giant fireplace.

When I got to the door I took a deep breath. No more being afraid. This was more important. I eased the door open a crack and nearly stopped, but I found that I could not, or maybe would not. Either way, I slipped inside when there was enough room and carefully shut the door behind me.

There he was, lying before the fire on his back, still in the same position as I’d left him. He was asleep, or appeared to be at least, with his chest rising and falling with each breath. The bandage was still wound around his shoulder. The fire had long died away into embers, but I could see well enough in the darkness. I walked over, keeping my steps slow and light for caution. I knelt next to him and gently placed my cheek to his chest. A steady, thundering heartbeat matched the rhythm of my own. Good.

I pulled my ear away and the Beast shivered. I tensed for a moment, wondering if he would wake up, but he made no move except the rise and fall of his chest.I curled my fingers around the blanket across my shoulders and watched another shiver travel through him. I fingered the blanket for a moment, wondering if his furry coat wasn't enough to keep the cold out or if he shivered from something else.

I tugged the blanket from off shoulders and draped it over him, fingers brushing against his fur for a moment. He was too large for it to cover much of him, but it might help. He let out deep breath.

I paused for longer than I should have, debating. I should just go back to bed. It wasn't like he would be able to hear me. On the other hand, he wouldn't remember anything he wasn't awake for, so there was really no harm in it.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, “for whatever I did that made you angry. I didn’t mean to cause you so much pain.”

The Beast remained still.

“I don't know who you are, not really, or what your past was like, or if I reminded you of something, but, well, I just wanted to apologize.”

Again there was no response. My eyes fell to the floor. No point in staying any longer.

“Goodnight Beast,” I whispered. I got to my feet and had begun to walk away when I heard him groan,

“Stay.”

I paused.

“Stay. Please.”

I tread lightly back to his side and watched in curiosity. He was still asleep. Was he talking to me, or…

“I’m sorry. I didn't mean to.”

His face twisted and he groaned.

Even monsters have nightmares.

I squeezed his clawed palm and its rough pads like those on the paws of a bear. For some reason he reminded me of Ilsa. She used to have nightmares all the time when we moved to the village, nightmares no coaxing could wake her from. We'd found out that if someone else were to lie in bed with her it helped her calm down. From then on, Blair would sleep with her whenever she had a nightmare. It was most of the reason why they shared a room. Despite being the oldest, Ilsa was the fragile sister and Blair found out that being the strong one was what she did best.

Maybe that could help now.

I hesitated, but then reasoned I had fallen asleep with my head on his chest only last night. I blushed at the thought and stretched out next to him.

There was still a comfortable warmth emanating from the embers in the fireplace, and the room was soothingly dark, making my eyelids drift downward.

“Please don't run away again,” the Beast moaned.

I hushed him quietly.

“It's okay,” I said. “I'm not going anywhere.”

-----------------------------------------------------
Well this is progress. Good job you two. Well, mostly Anna because the Beast was asleep the whole time...

Anyway, I'm back from a break that was far too long. Thankfully though I have a good headstart on Brighter than Blood from NaNoWriMo, a story I think you guys will really enjoy. The main character is very different from Annalise, but I think you guys will like Scarlet. She's a very flawed character in a lot of ways, but I'm rather fond of her. You know, I used to think that of all the characters I've come up with for this series, Scarlet had to be the least like me, but now I'm not so sure...

Also, I'm starting to post some pictures to go along with the story on each chapter and I've currently gotten the first three chapters a little picture to go along with it.

Anywho, Happy Christmas everyone! See you soon!