Chapter 9: Little Trinkets

The more I run here in Abel, the more I come to the odd realization that I am really good at finding things.

It's an odd thing, but it seems like every time I go out on a run, I find some random item that could be of use to the town. I don't exactly search for any items while running, but something always seems to make its way into my line of sight.

It's usually not much. Most of the time it's a bottle of water, an old blanket, or maybe even a portable radio. The best thing I've found is an axe, which I'm allowed to take with me on missions. While truthfully I'd rather have a pistol, I know that Abel doesn't have too many guns or ammo, and running out of bullets with multiple zoms chasing after me would most definitely not be good.

"You found quite a bit on that last run, Five," Sam comments as I fiddle with the trinkets on the picnic table. Little things I found that are no use to anyone here in Abel, so I get to do with them as I please.

I nod. 'Most of it was just stuff like this, but Dr. Meyers was pretty happy when I handed over the few half full bottles of pain meds I found.'

"And you didn't even go on a supply run," He chuckles before pointing to one of the smaller items on the table. "What's that?"

I pick up the trinket he's pointing to and lay into across my palm. It's small-tiny even-and the fact that I noticed in the first place is astonishing. A small, pink looking charm in the form of a tiara, it's brass hoop at the top rusting and stained with dirt.

'I think it's an accessory to a little girl's charm bracelet,' I send him a grin as I place it front of him. 'Why? You want it?'

He breathes out a laugh as he shakes his head. "No thanks. I'm perfectly fine without it, plus I don't have a bracelet to put it on."

'I could probably find you one on my next run.'

He rolls his eyes in response to my teasing. "Haha. Very funny, Five."

'I could give it to someone. I'm sure one of the elementary girls would have a bracelet to put this on.' Even as I say the words, I'm a bit reluctant on letting things go, because really these few things are the only items that are truly mine. They are things that are in my possession, and giving it up will be harder than I'm letting on.

But I also have that little voice telling me that someone will like it, and that I shouldn't be so greedy over such a little thing. I look down and decide to find a little girl who will take the charm and take care if it. As best as she can, at least.

I'm finding myself getting more comfortable with the people here. I know it's not a good idea to get attached, so I'm just letting myself get familiar with them. I still keep my distance-only talking in brief conversations and casual waves, which is easy since very few people know sign language well.

But the people of Abel aren't my friends. None of them. I won't let myself be susceptible to that kind of betrayal again. Most of the people here I consider just that: people. And a few, a very rare few, are considered my acquaintances... but they aren't my friends.

And they never will be.

I don't know which to fear worse, the fact that I made such a promise, or the fact that there's a chance I might break it...

If I'm not already doing so.

"It's amazing how you even spot things like this," Sam continues on, not noticing I'd spaced out. He picks up a cheap looking ring and examines it. "Why do you bring them back?"

I lift up my shoulder in a half shrug. Most people would say something sentimental-that this was someone's special something; That it had value to a random stranger that is probably wondering the wilderness as a flesh eating monster now; That at one point this little trinket meant something to someone.