Chapter 36: Etymology

What am I doing back here in dream New Canton? I think to myself as Archie continues to ramble in about the word 'raring'.

"I'm going to get you a dictionary on etymology for you birthday," Nadia chuckles lightly.

"Etymology," The raven haired girl repeats. "Insects?"

"Meanings of words," She corrects, "but that would make you do this more, wouldn't it?"

"Do what?" Archie questions with an innocent smile, and I roll my eyes with slight amusement.

"You clear on the mission? Know where you're going?"

I raise my hand to tap out an answer, but once again my knowledge of Morse Code and sign language has left, so I sigh and speak in a voice that definitely isn't my own. "Well, actually-"

"I told you where we're heading, silly Nadia," Archie interrupts. "Steve Reeves Hospital about five kilometers away. I know a group of scientists held up there after the apocalypse. Two people I know from the Keeley Center were there. We have to warn them that Keeley has been destroyed."

"Do you think they'll know what's going on?" I ask, very much wishing I had my southern American voice instead of this one with the British accent. I mean, I already have a new name an eye color, can't I at least have my old voice?

"I hope so. We need to see at least what they think is going on."

"And Runner Five's there for your protection," Nadia says, and I nod at hearing my purpose. Archie grins and bounces lightly on her feet, causing her black pigtails to bounce slightly.

"I feel so safe," She says sincerely. "Let's go!"

"Open the tunnel!" Our operator commands, and just like before the tunnel opens up before us. "Set off noise makers to the south-east. Go."

It's funny how vivid my imagination is. This outside of this tunnel looks different from the last one-not by much, but there's slight differences in the scenery, as if my brain decided that since this tunnel isn't the same one I exited last dream, that the scenery behind it should be different.

Maybe it's created this over the few memories I have of New Canton... although I've only seen New Canton twice, and both times I was busy trying to get away from either them or zombies. Strange...

We set a steady pace, with our feet hitting into the ground for only a split second before rising to take another step. It creates a steady tapping
rhythm that seems so real, almost too real.

"Imagine that," Archie mumbles quietly, quickly gaining my attention. "Van Ark is still alive. I heard he died when they tried to evacuate the university." She shrugs and her lips press together in a half smile. "Crazy talk."

"You knew him?" Nadia asks.

"I met him a couple of times. I liked him-funny guy-and when he got angry this one little piece of hair would flop in his face and-" She bursts into a fit of giggles and shakes her head with a smile. Nadia sighs through the headset and I'm sure she's rolling her eyes.

"You like everyone."

"Not everyone," She insists with a scoff.

"You still like Runner Thirty even after she set your bunk on fire!"

My eyes widen and I frown. What the hell?

"It was a joke," Runner Twenty rolls her eyes, and again I think, what the hell? "I thought it was funny."

"What the hell?" I exclaim, outwardly this time. Archie looks at me in surprise, and sends me a look that questions my shouting. "What is wrong with you people? I don't think anyone would do that at-"