Chapter 12: Home

"We've got you, Runner Five! You're home."

Home.

That's the last word that echoes in my mind before the world fades, exhaustion engulfing me into a world of sleep.

I don't dream. Instead I just stay in a peaceful darkness with no sound or movement. It's not cold or hot or any temperature really. I'm just... there. Or really, I don't see myself there either. It's a world of comforting nothingness; a solitude of sleep-filled black.

But then... then images start to appear-memories I'd rather not think I'd dream about.

"I know you're hurting. I am too, but you can't just sit here and do nothing."

"You don't understand," The girl, Runner Forty-three, replies. Her chocolate eyes are dead and soulless, her voice holding no emotion. "I killed him. I killed Wes."

"He was already dying," The younger girl states.

"But I'm still the one who pulled the trigger. I shot him." The girl breathes in sharply. "I murdered him."

"It was a mercy kill. He was suffering."

Runner Forty-three doesn't respond. She just turns away and stares at the wall with a blank expression. The younger girl sighs as she takes in the runner's state.

"You haven't been sleeping... or eating," The girl murmurs. "It's been effecting how you run."

"I'm still alive, aren't I?" Runner Forty-three snaps, but the younger female just purses her lips and crosses her arms in annoyance.

"You won't be for long if you keep this up." She rubs her temples before pulling out a bottle about half full of pink liquid. "Take this; it will help you sleep. It doesn't taste bad. The medicine was mixed with punch to mask it."

Runner Forty-three raises a brow questionably. "How did you get this?"

She shrugs. "It's... complicated to explain. But don't worry, I won't get caught."

"Of course you won't," She deadpans at the younger girl.

"It's just to help you sleep, and maybe if you get some shut eye it'll help with... you know."

"I doesn't feel right without him here."

The girl sighs. "I know. I miss him too."

Runner Forty-three feels tears prickle and sting her eyes. "We were a family. Him and you were the only thing that made this place feel like home."

The girl cringes slightly at that, but the runner barely notices. "This will be the start to making everything better. You'll get through this. We'll get through this. I promise."

Runner Forty-three takes the bottle of liquid and smiles in appreciation. "Thanks, Katelyn."

"Anything for you."

I grimace as consciousness returns to me. Light flitters into my vision, stinging my eyes as I blink rapidly. I slowly push myself into sitting position, my muscles screaming in agony at the action.

Taking in the sight before me, and I instantly recognize it as one of Abel's hospital rooms. There aren't many, and the rooms themselves are pretty bare-just a shelf on the far room with only a few pill bottles and med kits and a sheet hung up by a string and clothespins to be a makeshift curtain, with another cot on the other side. But it's the best we've got.