Chapter 27: Mistakes and Realizations

When I get back to Abel, my shoulders are beginning to ache and I long to rip off this stupid head cam. My Pooh Bear is still clutched in my hand, whatever dirt is on my skin probably staining the red shirt he's wearing.

With the gates raised and me safely inside, I don't give the backpack to those waiting for it, instead I keep it with me, although it takes
some difficulty. Thankfully Summer is one of the few who are supposed to check the bags today, so it isn't as hard as it normally would be.

I head into the medical tent where Dr. Meyers is waiting. I do the normal routine of stripping down to my underwear, which still is not something I'm all that comfortable with, but I keep a straight face as the doctor checks for any bites or injuries. She keeps on a serious face as she studies my skin, but as soon as she's done her face breaks out in a wide grin and she practically pounces on my backpack that's laying near the tent's exit.

She gasps in delight as she pull out the rule book for Darkness and Demons, and even lets out a high pitched squeak when she gets her hands on the Creotic module.

"We are so playing this tonight," She says with twinkling eyes. I suppress a giggle as I slip my less than clean clothing back on.

'I'm sure Sam will come and get me when you do,' I sign, grabbing my bag, my axe, and my bear as I leave. I barely make it two steps before Milo, Willis and Penelope are standing in front of me, practically bouncing on their heels in excitement and anticipation.

I look up and sees Caleb standing behind them. He gives me a small smile and a wave which I gladly return.

"They said you went on a entertainment run!" Penelope exclaims, and my eyes grow a bit wider than normal at seeing her be so... well, loud. Not that she's exactly screaming, but she is a bit more vocal than usual.

I nod in reply, and I don't think I've seen anyone smile that wide since the apocalypse started.

"Did you get anything cool?" Milo asks, and I grin as I reach into my backpack, shuffling through some of the paints and Sam's figurines to pull out Monopoly, Jenga, and Sorry. The look on their faces are priceless as I hand them out.

"What about that?" Caleb points at the yellow bear clutched in my hands. I shake my head and shove the animal under my arm to answer.

'No, this one's mine.'

"You got yourself a stuffed animal?" He laughs. His tone isn't mocking; It's more like surprised.

'It's what I wanted.'

"Thank you," Milo says as he clutches the Monopoly game.

"Yeah," Willis agrees. "Thanks, Mom."

Everything seems to freeze after that, the four people around me going deathly quiet, until Milo smacks his brother in the back of the head.

"What the heck, man?" He harshly whispers, although Willis pays him no mind. He's still staring at me with a complete look of horror on his face.

Caleb stands quietly in the background, looking like he's unsure whether he should laugh or not. I send him a narrow eyed glare, but that only makes him start to snicker.

Penelope is just watching with wide eyes and mouth open. I can't exactly read her expression, but before I can truly start to wonder Willis speaks up.

"I-I didn't mean it, Runner Five," He practically shouts. "I-it was an accident, I swear-"

I put up a hand and give him a raised brow and he stops talking, still looking nervous and a bit embarrassed by his words. I'm still rather shocked, because I've been called many things, but 'Mom' has never been one of them. But all the surprise and shock I feel I keep inside and off my face.