06. The Lovers

The water slipped out as the glass slammed onto the marble surface of the kitchen table

The water slipped out as the glass slammed onto the marble surface of the kitchen table. Two pair of identical tired eyes adverted their attention to the younger but older brunette girl standing in front of them, her eyes amused but serious at the same time, and it was the last part that woke up Ethan's mind faster than Aiden's.

"So..." she didn't finish speaking, her grin decreasing as the seconds ticked by.

Ethan spoke first, "what are you doing with a glass of water?" that wasn't the question Persephone was waiting for. Her doe brown eyes rolled before answering with a teasing smirk upon her red tainted lips. "I needed your attention, and water is easier to clean than fresh blood."

Ethan nodded his head but stayed silent nonetheless, trying to put off what he knew Effy wanted to talk about. In front of him, Aiden silently analyzed Effy since his mind was more awake right then, and he couldn't help but be worried as she looked different. And it wasn't a good different.

"How are you both doing?" Ethan sighed, the question he was dreading was just asked, his twin though, smirked proudly at his older sister figure.

"Good, Lydia is already opening up to me so far. She was searching desperately for a distraction, apparently." He joked.

"I'm good too." Was Ethan's only response, his eyes observing the table's surface as he missed the concern swimming in the brown orbs of their guardian.

"Okay," she sighed. "Deucalion contacted me this morning." That alone caught the full attention of the twins, knowing a new task for them was about to fall from Persephone's mouth. "He wants things to speed up in the high school. So, whatever happens in there, if you see an opening to get under their skin, do not hesitate and do it. We have to end this as quickly as we're able to." At the confused expression on both of the boys' faces, Effy sighed before explaining farther. "Deucalion thinks we're not alone, something else is in this same town, so we need to complete what we came here for before they ruin it."

Aiden suddenly pushed up from his chair, his height surpassing Effy, something the vampire despised since the twins grew up. He gently placed a hand on her shoulder, "Don't worry, you'll have your revenge and your reward. I promise" He reassured, his eyes holding a determination few could ever come to see in the younger twin.

She smiled.

"Thank you."

*****

"I looked everywhere... It's like he just walked away... Left his car, his dog..." explained Scott, confusion in his eyes as he looked at his awkward pale best friend beside him in the locker room as they both prepared for their next class assignment: Cross-Country's race training.