»six

The walk was long and tiring and Namjoon could feel himself becoming delirious from the heat of the scorching sun. His feet ached against the soles of his worn-out joggers as the two continued to trek down the barren highway, wondering how much longer it would be until they found some source of shelter.

Turning his head to look over at Seokjin he cursed at himself quietly. The already wounded and hurting boy looked even worse under the suns rays. They should've stayed longer, should've stayed and rested to make sure Seokjin was healed before they continued on to wherever they were headed.

But Namjoon had become conditioned to stay in places for only a set period of time. Get the required resources, rest until your eye bags are at least a little less prominent then move onto the next town. Staying in one place for two long will just cause trouble.

However this way of thinking caused him even more trouble. The poor boy walking beside him - more like dragging his own feet - nearly looked as bad as the creatures that had taken over this dystopian society. He had already suffered major blood loss and with the humid weather it wouldn't be long until he got heat-stroke.

Namjoon pressed the palm of his hand to the back of Seokjin's neck and frowned at the warmth emitting from his sweaty skin.

The shorter boy stared up at him through his bangs that had begun to stick to this forehead. "Joonie, I'm tired..." the quiet words left Seokjin's dry and chapped lips and Namjoon had to strain his ears to hear them.

"I know Jin, I know..." he sighed as he looked out at the woods that surrounded the highway from both sides. His head gave his conflicting thoughts. The condensed trees would give off the much needed shade that not only Seokjin but himself would need but they also held the horrors that had rocked this world.

He felt Seokjin lean his forehead against his shoulder. "Please..."

With a shaky hand wrapped his arm around Seokjin and pulled him closer as he took reluctant steps towards the edge of the road.

Cautiously he set Seokjin down on the grass under the shade of some trees. Sheltered enough so there were no stray rays of light creeping through the shrubbery but close enough that they could make out the highway and run to it easily if they needed to escape.

He pulled his backpack off his back and took out one of the water bottles they had packed before they left the convenience store.

Seokjin was currently sitting with his back against a tree trunk, eyes closed and letting out shaky breaths. Namjoon knew the boy was in pain but was too selfless to say anything. A frown formed on his lips and he unscrewed the bottle cap before inching closer to the boy. If Seokjin heard Namjoon coming closer to him he didn't indicate it.

The boy jolted slightly when he felt plastic press against his lips and he opened one of his eyes to see Namjoon holding a water bottle to his lips.

"Drink up."

He sent the other a gracious smile before letting Namjoon help him drink.

Seokjin had drunken nearly half of the water bottle when a few drops of water escaped from the side of his lips, dripping down his chin. Namjoon watched this and subconsciously licking his lips before looking away, pulling the water bottle away from the shorter boy.

"A-Are you feeling better?" Namjoon stuttered, not making eye contact with the elder.

"Yeah... Thanks." The two were silent for a couple minutes. Simply bathing in the calmness the forest had to offer and resting their weary souls.

"Where are we going to go Namjoon?" The said boy moved his gaze over to the other, silently wishing he could answer his question.

"I don't know Seokjin... I really don't know."

Seokjin quietly chewed on his bottom lip which Namjoon catches himself intently watching. "How about we head further into the woods?"

"Seokjin, no-"

"Please Joonie... just-" Seokjin ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "Lets just try."

Namjoon stared at the boy who looked at him with such desperation in his eyes that he couldn't help but let his resolve fall under the others gaze.

"Okay... fine."

~~

In retrospect, Seokjin's idea of trekking through the cooler woods compared to the blazing highway was actually a good idea.

It seemed as though luck was on their side today as they hadn't come across any creatures but Namjoon didn't want to jinx it.

A gasp sounded from Seokjin and Namjoon whipped his head around, thinking the noise came because of pain. Instead the other looked shocked and he turned to Namjoon with a grin plastered his face. In excitement he began slapping Namjoon's chest with his hand. "Joonie! Joonie! Look! It's a house!"

Seokjin was quite right. Through the last few trees that blocked their path was a small house surrounded by a rather weak looking wire fence.

"We could rest there tonight, huh?" Seokjin questioned with a small smile and Namjoon couldn't deny his idea.

They quickly walked to the house, easily managing to make it past the fence and to the doorstep.

"Should we knock?" Namjoon questioned to which he received a glare. He chuckled lightly under his breathe at Seokjin's reaction before leaning around the boy and opening the door.

The two cautiously moved around the house, doing their best not to make any loud movements. Luckily for them it was only a one story house so any danger was limited to the ground floor.

Namjoon made sure that Seokjin was within eye sight. The house was clean. Too clean.

They headed to the living room and Namjoon noticed a small notebook resting on the coffee table. He flipped through the worn pages as Seokjin looked through cabinet drawers.

The pages were filled with messy black handwriting, random sentences written across the page, not using the lines as guidance. It looked to be lyrics? Or some sort of poetry. Namjoon wasn't quite sure. His thumb brushed against the ink on the most recently written page and he felt his stomach drop when the ink smudged. It was fresh.

A gun cocking and glass breaking shifted Namjoon's attention quickly. He froze in place - bile rising in his throat - when he saw a black haired man pointing a shotgun towards Seokjin's head.

"What the fuck are you two doing in my house."

--
I thought it was time to start introducing more characters.

Who do you think it is?? ;^)))
Though I think I made it pretty obvious lmao