Chapter 4

Kimi ran down the stairs, nearly making me trip and fall, multiple times. Mr. Camui would be so proud right now. I thought. We made it to the bottom of the stairs. Kimi ran into the kitchen, where her moms were. "We could hear your music. May, you have very good taste in music." Aimi said, stirring her tea delicately. "Ah! Thanks!" I blushed. Riko giggled and placed a plate of cookies in front of us. "What flavor are these?" "Chocolate chip. Kimi told us that's your favorite." I gave Kimi a look. She smiled and giggled. I rolled my eyes playfully and took a cookie. Kimi asked, "May! Would you like some tea?" "Oh! Yes! I would love some! What kind is it?" "It's sakura tea!" Kimi giggled. I giggled as well. Kimi began to pour some tea into my glass. After she finished, I took a sip. It tasted kinda like bubblegum.

I filled Kimi's cup with the tea as well. "Do you like the tea, May?" Aimi asked. "Yes! I do!" I replied. My mind played 'The Sound of Silence' on repeat. I hummed it a little. Kimi looked at me, then proceeded to put a cookie in her mouth. She made a silly face. I began to laugh. Kimi began to laugh along with me. "Is something funny?" Riko asked. "The face Kimi made!" I said in between laughs. I sweetly smiled. Kimi did the same after she finished her cookie. "May! Did you bring a doll to play with later?" Kimi asked. "Oh no! I knew I was forgetting something!" I said. "It's ok! Did you read my letter?" "Yup!" I smiled. "May! Wanna go outside?" "Sure!" I looked at Aimi and Riko. "It's fine." They said. "Ok! Let's go outside!" Kimi said, standing up. I stood up as well. Kimi grabbed my hand and ran to the genkan. We took off our slippers and put on our shoes.

"C'mon! Let's go, May!" Kimi stood up and grabbed my hand. I stood up. Kimi ran through the house and out the back door. To her bird sanctuary. There were birds everywhere. Pigeons, robins, blue jays, and other types of birds. Kimi ran into her sunflower house. "May! Wanna talk in here?" She asked. "Sure!" Kimi pulled me in. I sat down and crossed my legs. My phone began to vibrate. I took it out and looked. A FaceTime request from Hiromi. I answered it. "Hey, Michigan May!" Hiromi said, loudly. "Hey, Harajuku Hiromi!" I said. Kimi looked over. "May! Who is it?" "It's my friend, Hiromi!" I replied. "May, who's that?" "My friend Kimi!" I said. "Where are you?" "In Kimi's sunflower house. In the middle of her bird sanctuary." "Weird. Guess where I am." "School?" I asked. "Yup."

"Wow," I said, giggling. "What class?" I asked. "Mr. Brown's." I began to laugh. "Seriously? The old dude lets you FaceTime in class?" "Yup. LaTanya's here, too. If you wanna talk to her." "I'll talk to LaTanya." "Hold on." Hiromi said. "Hey, London LaTanya!" "Hey, Michigan May! How's it going, girl?" "Pretty good, girl! How bout you?" "Good!" LaTanya smiled, her high cheekbones exposed. "LaTanya, is that a new weave?" "You bet, girl!" LaTanya smiled more, her highlighter shimmering against her dark skin. "Can I talk to Ollie?" I asked. LaTanya nodded and went to Ollie. "Michigan May? Is that you?" "Yeah, Okinawa Ollie. It's me." Ollie flapped her hands excitedly. She must've put the stand up.

"I miss you, May." Ollie made a sad face. "I'll come visit soon, Ollie! I promise!" Ollie made a happy face and flapped her hands excitedly. "When will you visit?" She asked, spinning the spinner ring LaTanya gave her. "Maybe around my birthday!" "May 7! May 7!" Ollie said, flapping her hands more excitedly. "That's right! That's my birthday!" I said. Ollie put her chew necklace that I gave her in her mouth and began to rock happily. "May! Why do have weird nicknames for your friends?" Kimi asked. "It's easier for us to call each other that than our real names sometimes. You can be Kyoto Kimi!" "Yay!" Kimi said, bouncing up and down. "I gotta go, Ollie. Hand Harajuku back her phone." "Ok!" Ollie handed Hiromi my phone. "Bye, Michigan May!" "See ya!" I hung up.

"So, Kimi, I'm gonna go see my friends later!" "When?" "In May. The 7th. On my birthday." "Can I go with you?" "Maybe. I'll ask my dad." I said, smiling. "Yay," Kimi said. "May, where are you from?" "Detroit, Michigan. I went to school with Hiromi, Ollie, and LaTanya there!" "Do you miss it?" "Of course I do, Kimi!" "If I go with you, can I meet your friends?" "Of course! I told them about you and they're very excited. Ollie especially." I said. I ran my hand through my hair. "May! Kimi-chan! Come inside! It's about to rain!" Aimi called. "Ok, Mama!" Kimi called back. We stood up. Kimi grabbed my hand and ran inside. I nearly tripped on Kimi's feet. Kimi dragged me through the house and to the genkan. I changed into the soft slippers. Dad texted me. It read, 'Mr. Camui may or may have not tripped and sprained his ankle. Can you come home to help me with him? If Kimi's parents don't mind you leaving early, of course.' I walked into the kitchen and tapped Aimi's shoulder. "Yes, May?" "May I head on home? Something happened and my dad needs me home." "Of course. Head on out. But be careful. It's raining." "Thank you for having me over." I said. I went back to the genkan and changed the slippers to my shoes. I laced them up.