Chapter 5

Sometime during the night, I could smell smoke. I bolted up and sprinted to Dad and Mom's room. I shook Dad. "Dad! Smoke!" He opened his eyes and tried waking up Mom. Nothing. Dad picked me up and ran down the stairs. I figured Mom would get up. Nope. A gust of wind hit us outside. I noticed the smoke was coming from the roof. I screamed as the roof burst into flames, "NO!" The Yamadas came out of their house. So did the little old cat lady. And the Itachis. "May!" Kimi ran over. I began to cry. The fire was quickly spreading to the middle floor. "NO!" I screamed louder. I tried to run in, but Dad held me back. Mrs. Yamada came over and put her hand on Dad's shoulder. The little old cat lady did the same.

"Jasper, I'm sorry..." The old cat lady said. Dad was trying not to cry. Kimi went over and hugged me, along with Aimi and Riko. I cried onto Kimi's shoulder. "It's ok, May. It'll be alright." Kimi patted my back. I sniffled, "No, it's not ok..." Where's Mr. Camui when you need him? I thought. I looked back at the burning house. "Ok everyone," Mrs. Yamada yelled in Japanese. "Get buckets and fill them with water!" Everyone nodded and ran off. I stayed behind. Kimi did as well. "May! What's wrong?" "I can't stop thinking about how we left my mom in the house while it burns. I won't be able to sleep from now on..." Everyone came racing back with buckets filled with water. Mrs. Yamada instructed, "Ok, now go to the house and put the flame out!" Everyone did as so. The little old cat lady stayed behind. "I handed Aimi my bucket. I can't physically lift and carry it myself. The arthritis keeps me from doing so." "Oh, I'm sorry, Obachan Akari. I could've carried it for you!" Kimi replied.

"I don't want to stress you, dear." "Oh. Okey dokey!" Kimi jumped. "Dad?" I asked, sniffling. "Yes, May?" He sniffled. "I wanna go see Mr. Camui..." "Go ahead. Kimi, can you go with her?" "Yes, sir!" Kimi nodded. I began to walk to next door. Kimi skipped behind me. I opened the door and walked to Mr. Camui. I sniffled. Kimi followed me, stopping every once in a while to look at stuff. "Kimi!" I grabbed her hand. "May? What's wrong?" Mr. Camui asked. I walked up to him. "The... The h-house.... Burned down...." I said the last part in a lower voice. "I didn't even notice, May. I'm sorry. Is your dad and mom okay?" I began to cry, "Mom's dead, Mr. Camui! She burned to her death!" "May... I'm sorry... Kimi, can May and I be alone for a moment, please?"

Kimi nodded. "May, I-I don't know what to say. This all happened so fast I can't jus-" "You don't have to say anything, Mr. Camui." I replied, wiping a stray tear away. I bent my head down and let the tears run off my nose. I then saw blackness. Or a dark shade of gray. I felt Mr. Camui's arms around me. He must've pulled me into a hug. This is nice. I took a deep breath in and nearly gagged. Blegh. He wears too much cologne. Mr. Camui let go of me. I began to cough. "May! What's wrong?" Kimi asked. "Nothing, Kimi!" I said in between coughs. I stopped coughing after about 2 minutes. Kimi asked, "Camui-sama, can I come back in?" "Yes, Kimi."

Kimi skipped back in. "You ok, now, May?" "Yeah." "Good." Kimi hugged me tightly. I grunted a little. "May, where will you live now that your house is burned?" "I... don't know, Kimi." I replied, sighing. "You know, May, you could always live with me." Mr. Camui suggested. "I'll ask Dad." I sighed, shoulders shaking. I sniffled. "I can't believe she's gone..." I crossed my arms. Tears formed in my eyes. "43, and gone already..." I sniffled. "Why did it have to be her? Why not me?" I cried. "May! Don't cry.... Cause if you cry, I cry..." Kimi said, looking me dead in the eyes. Kimi began to get tears in her eyes. I wiped the tears away. "I'm fine, Kimi. Let's go. I'll see you in a couple minutes, Mr. Camui." "Ok, see you." "C'mon Kimi, let's go." I grabbed Kimi's hand and sleepily walked out. "Where are we going?" "Back outside." I opened the door and dragged Kimi out. Kimi closed the door behind me. "May!" Dad said. I ran to him. Kimi ran to Aimi. "What did Mr. Camui have to say?" "He suggested we live with him." "That's a good idea." Dad smiled. Dad hugged me. I buried my head in his shoulder. Riko came over and put her hand on Dad's other shoulder. He turned his head. "Jasper, if there's anything, ANYTHING, Aimi, Kimi and I could do to help, please don't hesitate to ask."