Chapter 8

"Alright. Promise you won't tell him. I'll give that 5 dollars back." "Bribery? Seriously?" "C'mon. I told you I'd give it back." "True. After I get back from Kimi's. Then I'll take a shower and go to bed." "You do that. I'll just look at my Instagram and then go to bed." "You're not going to eat?" Gackt shook his head. "Either way, I'll bring something back from Kimi's." "I still haven't eaten the last thing you brought back." "I know." I ran my hand through my hair. I sighed. "What's up?" "Nothing. Just tired." I replied. "Oh. Alright. Well, it is getting dark. I mean, you have to go to school, I have to work. And I promise, your dad will be home tomorrow when you get home." "As long as Kimi doesn't drag me somewhere after school." "That is true." Gackt turned on the headlights and kept driving. "Kimi will drag me somewhere, I just realized that." "Alright then. What time does your after school end?" "Depends on what I go to." "What do you have tomorrow?" "Comedy club with Baru." "What's he like?" "He's super adorable. Soft brown hair, chocolate brown eyes, a dorky smile." "Do you have a crush on him?" "No. I have a crush on Kimi." Gackt looked over at me for a quick second. "Does she kn-" "Yes. She kisses me on the cheek. Every day." "Well, she's just showing affection." Abeoji replied. "I know, and now she's got Baru doing it, too." "Kissing you on the cheek?" I nodded. "Oh, God... That's cute." "I know..."

Le timeskip of 15 minutes...

Gackt unlocked the door and opened it. "I'll see you in a couple minutes, alright? Don't do anything too crazy." He winked. I winked back. "Ok, I promise I won't do anything too crazy." I turned and began to walk down the street to Kimi's. I looked at the sky. It was a reddish-pinkish color. "Wow..." I saw the setting sun and smiled. I walked to the door of Kimi's house and knocked on it. Riko opened the door, "Hello, May! What's up?" "I'm here for dinner, if that's ok." "Of course it's ok! Aimi, make May a plate, please! Kimi! May's here!" "Hi, May!" Kimi came running over. "May! You're back!" "I know." "What happened, May?" "Do I have to say?" "No, you don't have to if you don't want to." "Ok. I don't wanna talk about it." "Ok then." Kimi asked, "May, would you like to stay for dinner?" "That's why I'm here, Kimi." "Ohhhh. Okay!" Kimi replied, smiling at me with that dorky smile. "You look like a dork, and I love you for that." I kissed Kimi on the cheek. "May! Come on! Come in before the food gets cold!" Kimi teased. I stepped in, whilst taking my shoes off and putting my slippers on. "Speaking of dorks, Baru's coming over after to visit." "Ok. But won't we see him at school tomorrow anyway?" Kimi looked at me, "Yeah, but he wanted to visit today. I hope that's fine with you, May!" I smiled at Kimi. "Of course it's fine! At least I get to see the little dork, right?" "True. Come on, May, you wouldn't want your ramen to be cold, do you?" "No." I walked with Kimi into the kitchen, where her moms were, getting ready to eat. "Well, if it isn't May White! Come have a seat!" Riko chimed. "I even made you a placemat, May. I hope you like it." Aimi replied. I kneeled down at my place to see chopsticks, a bowl of ramen, and my placemat, which had pictures of deer and birds. "Thank you, Aimi, I love it." I said, warmly. "Ready?" Riko asked. "Yup!" Kimi and I said in unison. "1, 2, 3," "Itadakimasu!" We all said, together. Aimi and Kimi didn't start eating. "Why aren't you guys eating yet?" I asked, confusedly. "Well, May- Riko! Put that down until May has finished! May, in Japanese culture, the guests eat first." Aimi explained. Riko slowly put down her bowl, as I continued eating. "You guys don't have to wait for me so you can eat! You don't want your ramen to get cold, do you?" I asked. Kimi giggled and began to eat, as did Riko.

Aimi sighed while chuckling, and said, " Aw, to hell with it. I'll eat now." She began to eat, as well. "Is it good, May?" Kimi asked. I nodded. " I helped make it, right?" Aimi and Riko nodded. Riko chimed, "Yeah. She did help. And did a mighty fine job, I may add." Riko then kissed Kimi's cheek. Kimi giggled, then went back to eating. I smiled. Kimi looked at me and made a funny face. I began to laugh. "Kimi, don't make May choke on her food." "It's alright. Kimi does this in class, too." "Really now?" "Yeah." "I did that to Aimi when we were dating in high school. All the time." Riko smiled. I smiled back. "May! Are you done?" Kimi asked. "Almost, Kimi. You gotta be patient. Good things come to those who wait." "That is true." Aimi chimed. I smiled. Riko smiled, too. There was an awkward silence. "So, Riko," I said, trying not to offend her. "Have you ever worked out with Gackt?" Riko looked at me. "Yeah. Why?" "Just asking." "Oh. Alright. Ask me anything. I'll try my best to answer." Riko smiled. "May! Are you done now?" "Yes, Kimi. I am. Just let me take these dishes and-" "May," Aimi chimed. "I'll take them. Don't worry. Just go have fun." "Oh!" I blinked. "C'mon, May, Baru will be here any minute!" Kimi began tugging on my arm. "Ok! Ok!" I stood back up. Kimi dragged me to the front door. A knock on the door sounded. Kimi let go of my arm and opened the door. "Hi, Baru-chan!" "Hi, Kimi, Hi, May!" Baru replied cheerfully. He made his trademark dorky smile. Kimi ran to him and gave him a hug. Baru returned the favor.

"Wanna go upstairs, Baru-chan?" "Sure!" "C'mon May!" Kimi grabbed my arm and ran upstairs, Baru close behind. Kimi ran into her room with Baru and I, then slammed the door shut. "Was all of that necessary?" "Yes." Kimi replied. Baru giggled a little and sat down, cross legged. I did the same. "So, did you hear Kaicho's running for student council president with Gakuko by his side?" Baru asked. I nodded, "Gakuko told me at lunch the other day. She's going to be his assistant." "Kaicho won last year. With Gakuko by his side." "Yeah." Kimi sat down with us. "May, I heard that your dad is gay." Baru said, breaking the silence. "Where the hell did you hear that, Baru?" "Hana told me." He replied. Christ. "Well, she's wrong. My dad is bisexual. He just prefers males." "What do you mean?" "Her dad and Gackt like 'male bonding'." Kimi put the tips of her two index fingers together. "Kimi! That's nasty! You're nasty!" "But they," Kimi clapped her hands twice. "Ew! Kimi! You nasty! You're nasty!" Baru shrieked. My phone vibrated. I took it out. It read: 'May. Come home soon.' I put my phone back in my pocket. "May! Wanna sleep over?" I shook my head, "Sorry Kimi. I can't. Abeoji said to come home." "Who's Abeoji?" Kimi replied, "Abeoji is Gackt, Baru." "Oh. Bye bye, May!" "Bye bye, May!" Kimi repeated as I stood up. I nodded and began to head downstairs.

When I headed downstairs, I saw Aimi and Riko, kneeling under a kotatsu table, arm wrestling. "Bye, May!" Riko said, before Aimi slammed her arm on the table. "I win!" Aimi cheered."Bye bye, May!" She chimed. "How did you beat me?" Riko whined. I stepped into the genkan and put my shoes back on. I bowed slightly to Riko and Aimi. They nodded, as I turned to open the door. I opened the door and stepped out, softly closing the door behind me. I took a deep breath and began to head home. The sun had already set. The stars began to peek out of the dark night sky. I looked at my phone. 18:59 PM, it read. "Oh, man, it's almost 8 o'clock. Abeoji's gonna kill me." I sighed as I walked past the Yamada's, Akari's house with 5 cats on the steps. I walked up to the front step of Abeoji's house and opened the door, making sure to take my shoes off. "I'm home!" I called. "The proper term would be 'tadaima'!" Abeoji called back with his slightly nasal voice. "Well, tadaima, then." I replied, walking into the living room. Abeoji stared at me with his icy blue eyes. "Abeoji, I never realized how soulful your eyes are." I remarked. He smiled, letting out a low chuckle, "I thought you were going to bring something back for me." I replied, "Crap! I forgot to ask Aimi before I left!" "Did you get my text, at least?" I nodded. "Good. How was your visit with Kimi?" "Weird. Like usual. Baru came over." "Oh. Ok. What'd you guys talk about?" I replied, "Student council, mostly. And Kimi was being 'nasty', according to Baru." "Oh. Ok. Your dad called." "Yeah, what'd he have to say?" I asked. "He just called to say good night and that he loves you."

"That's nice. I miss him." I sighed. "I know, but when you get home from school he'll be here tomorrow, at least." I nodded. "I thought were going to go to bed right when you got home after you took your shower." Gackt remarked, scrolling through something while he talked. "I know, I can shower tomorrow after I get home, if I go to Kimi's," I replied, running my hand through my hair. "Well, I'll go get changed into my pajamas and go to bed." "You go do that." I found my clothes in a neat, folded pile on the floor next to the chair. The gray blanket was folded, too. I walked over and lifted the blanket ever so slightly to remove my pajamas. I took my pajamas, folded neatly, with my fuzzy socks on top, and walked to the bathroom. I opened the door to the bathroom and fumbled for the light switch. I turned the lights on. "Wow," I said, my voice echoing. "This really is a huge bathroom." I placed my clothes, still in their pile, on the edge of the sink. I took off my shirt and folded it. I took my pajama shirt and unfolded it. I put my shirt on, and took off my jeans. I folded them and took my pajama pants out. I put them on, then put my fuzzy socks on. I smiled and stretched a little. I took my folded clothes and turned the lights off. I closed the door behind me as I walked out. I walked into the living room and put my clothes next to the chair. I picked the blanket up and unfolded it. I sat down in the chair and put the blanket over me. "Good night, May." "Good night, Abeoji." I closed my eyes and began to fall asleep.