PART THREE: FOUR

I flinched

I flinched. I never flinched when he hugged me. But I freaking flinched. He didn't notice but I did. His hand grazed my left rib cage and I tried to hold it in while Landon watched. "Hey, tigger. I missed you."

"You've been gone." I smiled at my big brother, his hair grown out and his skin tanned. I knew he was tired and maybe even jet lagged. "How are you?"

"I'm ok. How are you?"

"Never been better." I lied, tugging the sleeve of my sweater to my palms as I looked around at the family that's gathered. He wasn't here. "Have you seen, Mom?"

"Kitchen." Daniel pointed and I nodded, excusing myself from Landon and him so they could talk. They got along really well so I wasn't worried.

I went to the kitchen, where my Mom was covered in flour and cake batter and the tall, muscular giant stood next to her in the same state, laughing uncontrollably. I smiled, the sight seeming so normal and casual for the two of them. Like it happened all the time. "Hey." I said softly, leaning against the door frame. I must have startled him because he dropped a metal bowl and cleared his throat. He busied himself with cleaning up the batter and my mom came and kissed my cheek. "I missed you." I sighed, looking at her wrinkling face and long blonde hair. She was such a beautiful woman.

"I missed you, hun. I'm gonna go get cleaned up, you two catch up!" She smiled, kissing my head before leaving me with him.

We were both silent before he finished loading the dishwasher and I sat on the counter. "Who the fuck is that asshat in there?"

"Landon. I've told you about him-"

"You didn't. You were with Patrick the last time we spoke. If I fucking knew that was over I would have-" He shook his head and set the hand towel on the counter. "You look thin. Have you been eating?"

It was such an odd question for him. But also so typical. He noticed every small thing.

I had been eating. Less. Landon told me too. He said I was gaining weight and I needed to stop eating like a 16 year old.

"I'm fine, Tate." I looked down at the counter, where my hands were placed, but I could feel him close. His hands were coming for me. I thought he'd hug me, pull me into his body but he didn't. He gripped the hem of my sweater and lifted it over my stomach. "Tate-"

"Don't fucking talk or I might yell. Tell me right now. Who the fuck hurt you? Who bruised something so precious? Was it him?"

"Tate, leave it alone. I'm fine. Me and Landon are fine-"

"You are not fucking fine. You look 20 pounds too light, you've got bruises on you and your eyes are screaming for help. Give me one reason why I shouldn't tell your brother and kick that fuckers ass?"

"I-" I took a deep breath and didn't fight him. He was going to do it. He stormed away from me and I watched helplessly as he walked back to the living room.

"Daniel get away from that mother fucker." He roared, his eyes blazing and his face hot. His veins were popping out of his arms and his fist were white. Landon looked over and my brother looked confused. Most of my family may of just thought Tate was the jealous ex.

Tate took Landon out with one punch and I screamed. He kicked his side and Daniel tried to pull him back. "He's not someone to defend." Tate hissed and have him one last blow before he leaned down and spit in Landon's face.

I couldn't move. Daniel looked at me and asked what was happening but I couldn't say a work. Tate gave me a final glance before storming out. I couldn't go after him.

It was hours before I said anything. Landon was drug off the floor and put on the couch. Until Daniel found out. He was knocked out again and this time no one touched him. My mom wanted to bury him alive and my uncle almost called my grandfather. I decided it was best to leave it.

I needed to fight this battle alone.

I also needed to find Tate.

I sat on the porch, until it was dark and the street lights came on. He needed to come back home.

It started raining and I got nervous he wasn't coming. But then I saw him. He ran up the side walk, drenched and frowning.

We met halfway. Rain and all. I welcomed the pour and he grabbed my hands from my sides and for a moment I saw it. He was terrified. He was broken. He was lost. "He hurt you." He weeped. He weeped. Never had I seen this man this way. "He put his hands on my girl. He made you bruise. He made you feel like you weren't good enough." He placed his head in my neck and held me tightly. "I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so fucking sorry."

"Tate, I'm ok. I'm gonna be ok." I held his head and finally let myself go. I cried with him and we didn't stop for awhile. He held me on the porch steps in the rain.

"I never should have let you go." He said, his voice low and cracking. "I should have went after you and told you that I love you and Zeke was right about everything. I was terrified of someone else having you but I knew someone else could do better than me. Like Patrick. I'm sorry I fucked it up with him, for you."

"Tate, he left me. He didn't love me enough to stay."

"Because of me!"

"No!" I shook my head, grabbing his face. "Love is fighting for someone and giving them everything you have. It's fighting through the hard times and making it through in the end. It's not running because of one stupid obstacle."

"I ran. When it got hard, I ran. Does that mean I don't love you?"

"No. You were scared of hurting me. You were scared that you wouldn't be good enough. You were wrong. I love you more than anyone ever could love me."

"Don't ever fucking say that. I love the shit out of you, Ariana Davis. You are the only girl that will ever make me happy. I don't care what you believe. You are my one thing. You are my rock, my happiness, my best friend and the only thing I need. I would give it all up for you. The money, ball, whatever. If I could have you forever." He tangled his hands in my hair and pulled me close to his face. "I love you, more than anything else in this world and any other."

"I love you too, Tate."

"I love you more."