Chapter 15

clara jane

     There has been one more sighting and even an attack from Et Vera Sunt since our meeting with Isaac and Scarlet a week ago. Everyone has been on edge since the attack, luckily it didn't do much damage to the wolf that was on patrol because of his training skills but there was damage done nonetheless.

     Scarlet and Blue have been by my side nonstop, Scarlet mostly and I think I am really getting to her. She is very serious most of the time but I sometimes find her struggling not to smile at some of my antics. She always tells me that she isn't here to 'hang out' but instead to protect me but I always respond with the simple question of 'why can't you do both?'.

     "Hey Scar, knock knock." I joke to the stoic, tan-skinned girl standing tall and proud at the edge of my bed. "No, Clara. And my name is Scarlet." She says with no humor in her voice. After lots and lots of bugging, I finally got her to drop the title of 'Luna' every time she addresses me. 

     "Yes! Come on Scar, just answer the metaphorical door." I whine while rolling onto my back and looking at the humorless girl upside down. She sighs and closes her eyes, probably trying to keep her patience. "Who is at the door?" She asks while looking at me. I probably look like quite the sight, white hair thrown carelessly around me, one of Sebastian's old sweaters hanging loosely over my body and a pair of sweats cladding my legs. A goofy grin spreads across my face like wild fire and I continue the joke, "Close enough. Cows go..." Scarlet scowls at the cheesy line she knows is coming but she walks into the trap anyway. "Cows go who?" I try to keep my giggles to a minimum, just enough to finish the joke. "No, silly! Cows go moo!" Then I burst with laughter and almost fall off of the bed.

     Suddenly, the door busts open to reveal a frantic looking Isaac. Scarlet straightens her posture even more than it already was and addresses Isaac, asking him what was wrong. "There has been another attack. They're invading the village." Isaac says while still trying to catch his breath. 

     All of the wind leaves my body while I sit up from my previous silly position on the bed, all of my previous humor no where to be seen. The room grows eerily quiet until Isaac tells us the plan. The main goal is to protect me and as much as I want to protect instead of be protected, I know it is the best plan we have right now. The two Lycans' eyes glaze over for a moment and they look to be in some sort of trance before they break out of it and Isaac is out of the castle quickly. 

     Scarlet and I run down some halls and through some doors until we are at the very bottom floor, even below the entrance. We get down their through a small door hidden under a piece of carpet near the stairs. Scarlet goes down the old wooden stairs first and soon enough we are both safely on the ground. She feels around for a moment on the wall until she finds the light switch and the small room is illuminated. "This is our make-shift safe room, only used if there is no way to get to the safe house." She says, silently implying that there is no way to get to said safe house. 

     She walks quickly over to a chest and pulls out clothes which reek of ammonia. "Put these on. We need to cover your scent as much as we can. This will do for now but it will wear off eventually." She explains while pulling a shirt on over hers as well. I do the same with a very large shirt and begin asking questions, "It is Et Vera Sunt isn't it?" She nods solemnly while digging through the chest still. "Is anyone injured? Where are Sebastian and Blue?" Questions begin firing themselves from my mouth of their own accord as panic sets into my brain. "Too many are injured. Alpha Sebastian is probably fighting as is Blue." She answers quickly while pulling water and protein bars from the bottom of the chest.

     A thought struck me at once and I quickly rush over to the stairs. "Oh no, no, no. Where do you think you're going?" Scarlet asks while rushing over to me and effectively blocking my exit. "I need to get to the infirmary and to the injured pack members." I tell my protector who stands in front of the stairs. "No. My one order from the Alpha was to protect you and the best place for you to be is down here, protected." Scarlet argues, standing her ground. I sigh and stand up a little straighter so that I can look her in the eye. "Scarlet, people are out there getting hurt and maybe even dying for me, their Luna. I can't just stand here and do nothing while they do that. I need to go to the infirmary and start healing people. Scarlet I am pleading to you as a friend, please. I need to go, for the pack." For a moment I think I have convinced her but she sighs and says, "I am very sorry Clara but what's best for the pack is you staying down here."

     I sit on the small twin bed and sigh, trying to block out the nagging thoughts of the pack members being hurt for my safety. "Well, look on the bright side, if you let me go then there will be no one to bug you and call you Scar." I joke with the serious girl who remains standing by the door on high alert. "Don't even say that." She growls without facing me. "What?" I ask, surprised by the emotion she is showing. "Don't even joke about being hurt. You are my Luna, I would die before I would let you be hurt in any way." She assures me to which I sigh. 

     "For a moment there I thought you were going to say something about how you're my friend. I'm sorry I have been annoying you a lot lately, by the way. It just get's kind of lonely around here sometimes. Sure, I have Sebastian but he is my mate so it's different. And then there's Blue but he has a lot of responsibilities so we don't get to hang out a lot. I guess I just wanted to make another friend around here who might actually be around." I confess to the girl I have been spending most of my time with recently. 

     Scarlet sighs and curses under her breath but leaves her position at the door and comes to sit by me on the bed. "I don't mind you calling me Scar, really. I like your corny jokes, as much as I hate to admit it. You're very kind and persistent and you didn't give up on me even when I've been cold to you and I will be forever grateful for that. But I am a warrior and I am meant to be cold and hard as stone, never broken. I am meant for one thing and one thing only, protecting the pack. There is no time for friends or mates, just protecting the pack." She admits without looking at me directly. 

    "I'm not good with all of this feelings shit and it makes me feel all mushy so I'm going to say this once, I'm glad to have you around Clara and I will protect you with my life. Not just because it is my job or because you're my Luna but because you mean a lot to me and I don't want you leaving just yet." I smile at Scarlet's confession which seems to have made her very uncomfortable and vulnerable. I can't contain myself and lunge at her quickly before she can react and envelope her in a warm hug. She tenses considerably and awkwardly pats my shoulder then I release her.

     "Please, Scar, you have to understand that I have to do this. You can still protect me at the infirmary, I just... I have to do this." I try to reason with her and to my astonishment she sighs, shakes her head, and says, "I am so going to get killed for this." Then we leave the damp, depressing safe room and we go to the battle field.

A/N: ALMOST 10K THIS IS INSANE YOU GUYS THIS IS SO WONDERFUL! MORE UPDATES TO COME!